SMB guide to get it right!

Hey guys,

I need some help/advice/guide on how to get SMB setup correctly.

So basically I have a bunch of shares.

Currently have just 1 user (root), but I have tried making other users.

I want some of my shares to be Private, others Public and some Secure.

I currently have everything set to public...

Now when going to my tower eg \\tower, it asks for a username and password.

I can just put in anything at all and it works and I can access.

Lets say I create user Admin

I give Admin read/write permissions to a share.

As soon as I go back to \\tower it asks for a user name/password, now anything I put in doesnt work.

And I cant even access the other public shares.

So I'd really like some form of guide on how to setup smb shares correctly cause I'm sure im doing something wonky somewhere.

Or maybe im just not entering my user/pass correctly.

I also tried using root, no dice just get no permissions to access from my win 10 laptop.

Thanks

Digs attached just in case.

loki-diagnostics-20180915-1509.zip

Windows caches login information used, and won't update the login even when you enter it when prompted. The first successful connection made to the server will persist until you reboot, and if you saved the login in credentials it will be automatically applied even through reboot.

Net result is that if you want to try a different set of credentials to the same named server, you pretty much have to clear any saved credentials and reboot.

One way around that is by tricking windows into thinking it's talking to a different server, \\tower is unique from \\192.168.0.100, so if you connect using the IP, you get a fresh try at entering credentials.

Root in unraid is NEVER allowed authenticated access to SMB, so if you had access set to public and tried root successfully once because unraid doesn't attempt to authenticate public access, then when you set any shares to private or secure you would be locked out because windows keeps trying to use the root login.