Switched to TR, bsod on every vm

Recently switched to Threadripper 1900X & X399 Designaire.  SVM enabled, fresh Unraid installation on USB, everything looks great with any VM except Windows 10.

Every single installation will BSOD w/ System Thread Exception Not Handled.  This happens after Key Activation & in four different installations it doesn't seem to matter which drivers I install first, nor whether I am using Windows ID or offline.

Only thing that comes to mind as I write this is that I've been using Ninite to install applications and I usually BSOD a few reboots after that as I get more setup completed.  I am going to take the weekend to think it over.

Edited by TheFullTimer
Removing a line

Which version of windows 10 are you trying to install? I had issues installing the latest version (18XX). I tried redownloading on multiple machines and network, checking the hash, etc. just to make sure. Then I tried an older version (1703) and it worked fine including updating to the latest version.

I'm not sure if i'm allowed to link to any sites, however, you should be able to find a list of all the MSDN links for Windows ISOs. Remember to check hashes.

1 hour ago, 3flappp said:

Which version of windows 10 are you trying to install? I had issues installing the latest version (18XX). I tried redownloading on multiple machines and network, checking the hash, etc. just to make sure. Then I tried an older version (1703) and it worked fine including updating to the latest version.

I'm not sure if i'm allowed to link to any sites, however, you should be able to find a list of all the MSDN links for Windows ISOs. Remember to check hashes.

I installed Windows 10 Pro 1803, assigned all the CPU and ram, assigned the disk manually (/dev/disk/by-id/nvme-xxxxxxxxx)

I also clean installed 1803 last week and experienced my issues.  I'll find a 17xx image and try that instead.  I wonder what was changed that would cause this trouble.

I had previously tried installations with a single core and 2gb of ram, and other combinations, but all experienced the bsod after a few installations and reboots.

Edited by TheFullTimer
New paragraph
21 hours ago, TType85 said:

I installed Windows 10 Pro 1803, assigned all the CPU and ram, assigned the disk manually (/dev/disk/by-id/nvme-xxxxxxxxx)

That might be the problem. NVMe drive shouldn't be passed through via the /dev method. I have stability issue doing it that way.

You may want to try passing it through as a PCIe device (the same way you would do with a USB controller or NIC etc.)

1 minute ago, testdasi said:

That might be the problem. NVMe drive shouldn't be passed through via the /dev method. I have stability issue doing it that way.

You may want to try passing it through as a PCIe device (the same way you would do with a USB controller or NIC etc.)

So far it has been stable for me. I have 2 of the same type in there and they have the same vfio id so it is harder to pass through.