MCE Hardware Errors in unRAID - Full Sys Logs Attached

_0m0t3ur

periodically i run the fantastic Fix Common Problems plugin from Squid's repository.  today, it kicked out this error message:

Machine Check Events detected on your server.

and the suggested fix:

Your server has detected hardware errors. You should install mcelog via the NerdPack plugin, post your diagnostics and ask for assistance on the unRaid forums. The output of mcelog (if installed) has been logged.

looking at the logs, i'm seeing a possible ram issue.  a second set of eyes to be sure i'm not missing anything else would be appreciated.

430423090_mcehardwareerror.jpeg.b5c39ae0cd105a305ee241474846122e.jpeg

thank you in advance.

diagnostics-20180915-0946.zip

i received another similar error notification from Fix Common Problems.  checking the logs is see the following hardware error, which is similar to the one above, excepting it's for CPU1.  full logs attached.

906966485_mcehardwareerror2.jpeg.1e5952c9e67262b8cf133edcc641b591.jpeg

i checked the SEL.  no errors logged on the motherboard, either in the ipmi/bmc or the memory.

seems like if the problem is with the motherboard dimm slot, then the ram wouldn't be recognized. or if it's the ram, then i would expect to see error messages in the motherboard logs.  but no logs posted.

i've had only two errors, and they seem to show up under heavy load.  recently i've been messing around with transcoding video and the ram gets hot, especially some ram modules for CPU1.  i changed my fan settings from balanced to performance, to increase the cooling a little, though i don't expect this to be a fix.  it just needed to be done anyway.

i've researched mce errors.  it looks like errors of this type mean that the ram is going bad.  if you've experienced this issue or just have experience with mce hardware errors, i would love to hear from you.

any input would be appreciated.  thanks.

diagnostics-20180918-1234.zip

Edited by _0m0t3ur
  • _0m0t3ur changed the title to MCE Hardware Errors in unRAID - Full Sys Logs Attached