APC SmartUPS Setup

SavellM

There is a special section of the Forum for Bug Reports:    Home    >   Unraid OS 6 Support   >   Bug Reports 

There are two subsections under that sub-forum:  One for Stable Releases and one for Prereleases.   Obviously, you make your report in the appropriate section for the version that you are seeing the problem in.  You should note that this section of the forum is much different from the rest. The threads that are in there are not queries about problems that people have encountered asking for help.  They should be a statement of careful research into a problem that indicates the underlining Unraid System has an issue.   It seems to have tracking mechanisms to make sure that things don't get lost.  You should also realize that the developers do not read and track every post in the forum. 

By the way, 'Race' condition issues are always difficult problems to address as they often 'edge cases' and are difficult to check in normal testing. 

Thanks again @Frank1940, I created a new report in, hopefully, the right section of the forum (as I have installed the UPS when I was already  in 6.9.0 beta 30) :

I hope my third attempt will be the successful one !

@MXS, please reply on the new report above (Bug Reports > Prereleases), so that developers are aware I'm not alone in the dark 😉

Edited by Gnomuz
  • 1 month later...

Somewhat related to this thread since this is all about APC SmartUPS and Unraid :)

Anyone figured out how to update the firmware from command line without connecting the UPS to a windows box? I don't have a windows PC in my house at all. I've tried to pass through the device connected to my mac into a windows VM, but it's not working.  The APC Firmware updater doesn't see the device.

Sorry, I've upgraded the firmware when the UPS arrived, but I used a Windows laptop directly connected to the UPS to do so. I never tried to use the firmware upgrade tool from a Windows VM in Unraid with the UPS passed through. It may work, but you'll have to test yourself. And I'm not aware of any linux CLI option to upgrade the firmware, as the APC tool is Windows only iirc.

I take the opportunity of your APC UPS-related question to bump this thread as the situation is still the same for me in 6.9-beta 35. Who knows, a Christmas or @limetech miracle may happen, even if it's a bit late 😉

Edited by Gnomuz
7 hours ago, tmchow said:

Anyone figured out how to update the firmware from command line without connecting the UPS to a windows box? I don't have a windows PC in my house at all. I've tried to pass through the device connected to my mac into a windows VM, but it's not working.  The APC Firmware updater doesn't see the device.

Did you contact Support at APC?

• 2 months later...
On 4/10/2019 at 10:44 PM, Aegisnir said:

1. Enable advanced config options on your UPS via the on screen display
2. Open configuration options and scroll down until you find ModBus

3. Change ModBus to Enabled.  It is disabled by default on all APC UPS units.

In my case, I got an old 2012 APC SMT1500I HWID=18 model for free, just needed to replace the battery. The firmware on there was 8.3, which has no ModBus option. However, APC added it with firmware 9.1 so I had to disconnect the ups from my server, attach it to my Windows PC via the USB A->B cable and run the APC firmware upgrade wizard:
Smart-UPS Firmware Upgrade Wizard v4.2.0 - APC USA

(you could also this this via a VM if needed)

Running the wizard will automatically detect your ups firmware & model and will ask you to select a firmware file to upload. Clicking the browse/select button will take you to the "FirmwareFiles" subfolder of the wizard which has all of the latest firmwares for all compatible devices. The only file that is visible will be the one you need, so it's pretty idiot proof.

After updating it will reboot a bunch and you should now be able to select & enable the modbus option in the configuration submenu AFTER you have set the menu display type to advanced, otherwise the option will be hidden.

I’m having weird behavior when trying to update this.

When I start the update process, My SMx1500 powers off, then back on. The display says something about firmware being updated for a few seconds then it powers off immediately.

My windows laptop app is showing the progress at 7% with no additional progress even after waiting 5 mins. UPS still isn’t turning on.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

is there any way to show up the "nominal power" and "ups load" with my UPS?

I use a APC Smart-UPS 1500 with UPS 09.4 (ID18) Firmware.

The UPS is connected with a Network Management Card 2 (ethernet cable).

UPS.thumb.JPG.0b4dcaf3bc574b02fd80fe9528d9fec4.JPG 

@i-B4se, according to http://apcupsd.org/manual/manual.html#connecting-apcupsd-to-a-snmp-ups , you may try to populate the "Device" setting with "IPAddr:161:APC", in case the autodetection of the "vendor" qualifier fails with our UPS.

Another option seems to switch from SNMP to PCNET protocol, see http://apcupsd.org/manual/manual.html#powerchute-network-shutdown-driver-pcnet  , if your UPS/Network management card support it.

But it's pure guess, I have no practical experience with Network Card / SNMP APC UPSes.

Good luck, from my painful personal experience, getting apcupsd to work properly with an APC UPS with USB connection can be a long story ...