Ryzen - Update?

I've seen a few threads in my initial research and it seems that some (all?) of the initial problems with Ryzen have been fixed. I'm considering going the Ryzen route, but unsure of the AMD platform. I'm technical, but not a systems guy.

Presently I have a i7-3770 3.4Ghz and run Plex (on docker) and a few VM's. I don't have huge VM need, and my server is presently works great apart from when Plex is transcoding. Typically that's when the network OTA tuner is running (HD Homerun). I have allocated core pairs per the excellent SpaceInvader One Youtube video discussing that, and it's really allowed me to eek out all the performance I can from this system.

I'd like to have some more juice though. I'd like Plex to be able to transcode pretty easily, while running those couple of VM's and doing something like ZoneMinder in docker at the same time. That last part presently pushes my box harder than it can go.

Does AMD work as well with device passthru and other things on VM like Intel? What are the limitations / cons to AMD Ryzen as they relate to unraid?

I've been looking at Xeon, but the Ryzen seems like a better $$ to Core/Thread.

*Been looking at like a Ryzen Threadripper 1950x for example

Thoughts?

Edited by CowboyRedBeard

I would say most of the most serious issues (like hard crash) have been resolved.

There are, however, "idiosyncrasies" that you will need to keep an eye on. For example:

• High-speed RAM compatibility, while way better than last year, can still be a problem. My personal experience says 2800MHz and below are generally ok. The 3000+ are the ones that can be picky.
  • Due to the CCX design, you may want to spread the core assignment out for best performance (e.g. 1-3+5-7 can perform better than 2-7 and even better than 1-7). So a bit more testing is involved for the ideal config.

In term of pass-through, it's virtually impossible to say for sure due to the number of devices out there. The best thing you can do is to search the forum for your specific device and see if there's anyone with the same device + Ryzen. Usually posters' signatures are the best resource. :D

The biggest limitation of AMD is that it has worse single-core performance, which is highly relevant for gaming.