unRAID 2 gamers 1 cpu - TV based "side-by-side" gaming

ryoko227

Less an unRAID specific question, but I'm hopeful someone here has done something similar.

What I would like to do...

I would like to have 2 of the VMs in my unRAID server box be able to display simutaniously, side-by-side video (preferably at 1080p 60fps or more) on a 60" 4K TV. Audio mixed if possible (wireless headsets are also ok). Plan on playing via PS4 controllers &/or mouse & KB. I would like it to be as automatic as possible. ie-switch to that TV input and both displays are already up and showing/ready for whatever. ie-playing Dead by Daylight via Steam side-by-side on the couch.

What I have...

unRAID already setup with gaming VMs - H/W passthough (GPUs, usb controller, etc.)

A TV that will NOT side-by-side display from HDMI inputs (and no DP) >.<;

Current options & thoughts...

1) Buy a $100+ HDMI mixer | pro - easiest (just plug and play) / cons - pricey, most don't seem to mix audio (1 at a time)

2) Capture & stream the 2 VMs video, maybe to a 3rd VM or Docker with dedicated gpu (have another 960 laying around) to display?

3) ???

HW wise the server has more than it needs to do virtually any option. I would prefer to use the hardware I have without having to buy more equipment if possible, but I would really love some suggestions from anyone out there who has done something like this, or has some ideas of how to do something like this. Thanks in advance!

Based off of what I have not found in my own searching, and reddit comments as well, I think the only "only costs time" setup, would maybe be to setup something like... (thinking out loud here, tossing ideas out, feel free to add or comment on it)

• Setup VM3, to be started by the unRAID "Virtual Machine Wake On Lan" app by dmacias72
  • Setup VM1 & VM2 with a streaming option (something like OBS??) to broadcast the video and audio via LAN. envec h.265 or something. Would need some direction in this area as I am not a streamer ^^;
  • Create a short batch shortcut on VM1 & VM2 allowing for one click booting of VM3
  • ^ Setup within this batch an autostart script for the (insert streaming solution here) locally
  • Setup VM3 startup batch/script to view these streams PBP, fullscreen, in 4K
  • Profit?

I suppose VM3 could even be a docker or something. I don't think it would even need to be a Windows OS, probably would just depend on what software is used to combine the video/audio streams. Maybe OBS again using the incoming streams as inputs for the display? I'm kindof think of this being something akin to twitch, but locally. Tossing ideas out there, what do you all think?