Controller requirements for new case?

Hi All

New to the world of SAS/HBA Host Bus Adapter...

I have found this case that fits my needs (Not to deep 55 cm and 24 hot swap bays)

4u-server-case-w-24x-35-hot-swappable-satasas-drive-bays-6gbs-minisas-550m-deep-sc-4324s

So it states that the backplane has: "Six SFF-8087 Mini SAS connectors" to 24 drives

So what do I need? cables and controller or controllers? (Recommended) 

LSI 9211-8i as HBA (IT Mode)? or a better card if there is one?

How many cards? and what cables "SFF-8087" is there a card that would cover all 24 bays?

Sorry I have read the wicki but this back-plate with only 6 connectors have me confused?

Most people write about SATA connectors and cables (These I know :-)

Best regards

Casperse

2 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Every miniSAS cable connects to 4 disks, so depending on how many disks you'll use you can do the math, for the 24 disks you need 3x8 port HBAs, or 1x16 port + 1x8 port, or 1xHBA with an expander, etc.

Ok that make sense, but what is an expander and is it better to buy more HBA not using an expander? (Speed/cost do I save a pci slot?)

I want to make sure I can use any size sata disk without limitations 12TB etc 

So a expander card:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-RES2SV240-24port-6G-6Gbps-SATA-SAS-Expander-Server-Adapter-Gebraucht/132734264721?hash=item1ee7942591:g:UOIAAOSwdc5baUKH

And another LSA  1x8 port and these two cards would provide me with 24 drives?

Are these card connected by cables? (Sorry the wicki didnt state if this was needed?)

Looks like a mores "cost friendly" solution 🙂

2 minutes ago, casperse said:

Would a 1x16 with an Expander improve speed?

Not really, maybe a little if it was a PCIe 3.0 HBA.

For better performance you'd want an expander with more ports and then dual link it to the HBA, HBA would also need to be PCI 3.0 to be able to use the extra bandwidth, so for best performance you could get for example an LSI 9207-8i and the 36 port version of the Intel expander.

So this way the Expander would have higher capasity than it would actuall need for 24 bays (36 Expander might be more expensive than buying two cards 🙂)

I found this article (Because I also would like to use ESXi running Un-raid) and here the MB actual have a built in LSI controller!

https://www.vladan.fr/supermicro-single-cpu-board-for-esxi-homelab-x10srh-cln4f

So was wondering if I then only needed to buy the expansion to such a board?

4 minutes ago, casperse said:

So this way the Expander would have higher capasity than it would actuall need for 24 bays (36 Expander might be more expensive than buying two cards 🙂)

I found this article (Because I also would like to use ESXi running Un-raid) and here the MB actual have a built in LSI controller!

https://www.vladan.fr/supermicro-single-cpu-board-for-esxi-homelab-x10srh-cln4f

So was wondering if I then only needed to buy the expansion to such a board?

There's nothing wrong with having more ports than bays (and similarly more bays than drives and more drives than what you need). It simply gives you more options in he future.

Having controller on motherboard can be both a blessing and a curse. It may (or may not) complicate patching it to IT mode. I remember reading someone complaining on Reddit about that.

Thanks! - So after reviewing all your valuable information I have drilled it down between 3 solutions for a minimum of 24 drives or more:

1. 2 HBA cards: LSI SAS3008 9300-8I/LSI 9211-8i/LSI 9207-8i ? ??? and a LSI 9202-16e (Any model recommendations buying used LSI with PCI 3.0? EBAY is a jungle of different models)
  2. Expander 36: RES3CV360 and LSI 9207-8i and 8 x SFF-8087 miniSAS to SFF-8087 miniSAS cables between the cards (Short ones would be nice)
  3. Expander 24: LSI 9207-8i and the RES2SV240 expander and some cables? (I don't like buying used cables, so new ones any brand recommendations?)

BTW: I still only have 6 SAS ports on the back-plate of my new server case, so regardless of the above solutions I can order 6 of these cables with the case right?

Edited by casperse

Thanks @johnnie.black Ok, running out of time and can't really find any PCI 3.0 that isn't close to full price and then you get warranty

also goes for expanders for 24 drives is non existing on Ebay

Would this be okay for 24 bays (Approved HBA card to be used for unRaid HBA mode)

LSI SAS9201-16i PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SAS 6Gb/s HBA Card
LSI SAS2008-8I SATA 9211-8i 6Gbps 8 Ports HBA PCI-E RAID Controller Card

Is the higher number, the newest card and therefore the best value for money, one is 9201 and the other is 9211