Unraid OS version 6.6.0 available

limetech

1 hour ago, michael123 said:

Upgrade from 6.5.3 on my box to 6.6.0 went smoothly, and system log is clean.

BUT.. I really don't like the new GUI. Will be nice if that will be possible to have an option to revert it.

I do not think we are going to get Limetech to revert, and maintaining multiple GUI’s is a significant overhead I would think.    Having said that if you select the Azure or Grey options they are currently still using the old style.

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I do not think we are going to get Limetech to revert, and maintaining multiple GUI’s is a significant overhead I would think.    Having said that if you select the Azure or Grey options they are currently still using the old style.

No, probably that was in RC, now it is all the same. But I'll get used to, in the end that's just a NAS OS (in my case).

The more important thing that unraid is working for me stable for more than 10 years :)

Edited by michael123
  • Like 1

Just updated both servers. One from 6.5.3 and one from 6.6.0-rc. Both went smooth and everything seems to work. Just had to remove CPU-pinning from my dockers.
There is really alot i like in the new release.
CPU-pinning is one of them and CPU-load and memory-load in dockers. I can remember that it was there a couple of versions back, but it went out somewhere along the way, therefore i installed cadvisior.

I’am still getting use to the new gui, but i like its far more resposive than before. Now i just need to update my banner.

Great job limetech, its still impressive how far the software has come. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upgraded to 6.6.0 last. Really like the CPU pinning but unfortunately had to roll back to 6.5.3 due to a few minor issues:

1. Docker custom networks. Besides the standard br0, I also run br1.10 and br1.20, linked to my VLANs (10 and 20 respectively). br1.20 is the same subnet as br0, but with a different gateway (br0: 192.168.20.0/24 gateway 192.168.20.1, br1.10 192.168.10.0/24 gateway 192.168.10.1, br1.20 192.168.20.0/24 gateway 192.168.20.254) DHCP is off on all custom networks, I set them manually. After upgrading to 6.6.0, I could no longer select br1.20 as a custom network in docker, even though it was listed in my docker settings. Unfortunately, this was the deal breaker for me and I had to roll back. I presume I could have made in manually via the CLI, but was not up to that yet
  2. Theme - It has to grow on me, but I liked the only theme of 6.5.3 and below. I believe I just need new time with the new theme.
  3. Docker Autostart - I removed the CA Docker Autostart plugin, due to it not being compatible with 6.6.0. I could not find the option in 6.6.0 where to set delay timers and to change the order that dockers are started in.  @Squid showed me were this was, thank you!

I am going to upgrade back tonight and play around with the custom docker networks so I can get my br1.20. If someone could shed some light on this as well, it would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Spun off docker issue here

Edited by CrimsonTyphoon
Added Link

Upgrade went without any issues, thanks!

Regarding the "new" gui, it really dosnt work for me.
I understand trying to hit the same branding as the website, but it seems a bit half baked to me.

Those bright colored buttons/text on white backgrounds just isn't pretty or nice to read, i'd rather see an upgrade to using some responsive framework instead of a random splash of paint.

re: webGUI themes: as I have said before, this is a work in process.  My fault: we didn't give @bonienl a whole lot of time to theme-match with website.  I made a business decision to release because there are important updates in 6.6 aside from the cosmetics.  We know there are some things that need to change.  But there is a fine line between constructive criticism and "piling on".  New suggestions are welcome but all these "meeee toooo" posts are getting tiresome.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, limetech said:

re: webGUI themes: as I have said before, this is a work in process.  My fault: we didn't give @bonienl a whole lot of time to theme-match with website.  I made a business decision to release because there are important updates in 6.6 aside from the cosmetics.  We know there are some things that need to change.  But there is a fine line between constructive criticism and "piling on".  New suggestions are welcome but all these "meeee toooo" posts are getting tiresome.

I am not a professional graphics designer. To me, as it was said also by others, UI elements do not play well in the eyes - the colors, the fonts.

Regarding Release decision - you were absolutely right.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, CrimsonTyphoon said:

I could not find the option in 6.6.0 where to set delay timers and to change the order that dockers are started in. 

On the docker page, you can grab and slide the docker's "area" to move it up or down to change the start order.  Delay Timer: Switch to advanced view, and then there's a "wait" entry you can change

43 minutes ago, michael123 said:

...the fonts

The GUI makes use of the Clear Sans font, developed by Intel. This is the description which goes with this font

Clear Sans is a versatile OpenType font for screen, print, and Web. We designed Clear Sans with on-screen legibility and glanceability in mind. It strikes a balance between contemporary, professional, and stylish expression and thoroughly functional purpose. It has a sophisticated and elegant personality at all sizes, and its thoughtful design becomes even more evident at the thin weight.

Clear Sans has minimized, unambiguous characters and slightly narrow proportions, making it ideal for UI design. Its strong, recognizable forms avoid distracting ambiguity, making Clear Sans comfortable for reading short UI labels and long passages in both screen and print.

Honestly, I don't get (see) why some people have issues with this font. I did quite a lot of comparisons and in terms of readability this font is one of the best IMO.

In addition the colors of the webGUI are the same as used on the official web site. Purposely the light background isn't made pure white and the dark background isn't made pure black to give less strain on the eyes.

Edited by bonienl
Upgrade went without any issues, thanks!

Regarding the "new" gui, it really dosnt work for me.
I understand trying to hit the same branding as the website, but it seems a bit half baked to me.

Those bright colored buttons/text on white backgrounds just isn't pretty or nice to read, i'd rather see an upgrade to using some responsive framework instead of a random splash of paint.

Have you tried the black background?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just tried the upgrade from 6.5.3 to 6.6 but my NFS mounts just hang when I do a "ls /nfs/path", no idea why :( This means I cannot run my dockers and I had to go back to 6.5.3 to keep them working.

Any tips on how to solve this NFS issue? The NFS server is freenas, and it is does have the "Enable NFSv4" selected, and "Serve UDP NFS clients" un-selected.

Thanks,

Jorge

4 hours ago, bonienl said:

Purposely the light background isn't made pure white and the dark background isn't made pure black to give less strain on the eyes. 

I do struggle with the lack of contrast, rather than the strain on the eyes, so orange against the off white background is tough for me, so I would choose a darker background if I could.

The forum is great and gives the darker background with the white text, so a nice contrast.

If it were possible to select a slightly darker middle section of the unraid view, it would be perfect :)

The larger fonts work great for me with my aging eyes, so thanks for the hard work and getting this one out of the door so fast.

Edit: I should add I have tried the other themes and prefer the layout of 'White' with just the orange on off white harder to read, but certainly not a show stopper for me.

Edited by local.bin

I updated but had to revert back.

My Windows VM with HW GPU pass-through (Quadro P2000) was unable to start.  I received the error "internal error: Unknown PCI header type '127' " 

I also checked the IOMMU Groups and even recreated a VM from scratch but it was still a no go.  My system has one video card so I figured it was a reset bug.... I could be wrong.

• limetech unfeatured and unpinned this topic