Unraid OS version 6.6.0 available

limetech

11 hours ago, wdelarme said:

Will try this later..I need to update to 6.6 again

11 hours ago, wdelarme said:

I installed with no problem everything ran great for a few hours then unraid wouldn't allow any connections from any machine on my network also couldnt get to GUI, Couldnt access shares or dockers but my pfsense vm was accessible....I had to init 6 the unraid box and upon reboot everything worked fine for a few hours and again same issue. I reverted back to previous version of unraid and all is fine. I tried updating again and a few hours later same issue so I had to init 6 the box again and everything worked fine again for a few hours. I'm now reverted back for the second time with previous unraid version and all is stable. Is there a specific log file I can get to when I update again for the third time that might help when I lose all connectivity besides my vm pfsense that I could post here to help? I did the update assistant and it said everything was ok to update just to verify it wasn't a known docker issue

Ok added Diagnostics files tower-diagnostics-20180925-2138.zip .  tower-diagnostics-20180925-2154.zip these are right after it died

6 hours ago, wdelarme said:

Ok added Diagnostics files tower-diagnostics-20180925-2138.zip .  tower-diagnostics-20180925-2154.zip these are right after it died

In both cases one of the last entries in the stack trace is

NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0 (r8169): transmit queue 0 timed out

... meaning that something within the network driver of your eth0 pooped itself (as far as I understand; right?).

6 hours ago, wdelarme said:

I installed with no problem everything ran great for a few hours then unraid wouldn't allow any connections from any machine on my network also couldnt get to GUI,

The common denominator for people having connection problems is the use of a Realtek ethernet controller.

Realtek has a history of miss and hit, and perhaps the latest kernel has a 'problematic' Realtek driver?

You do have Intel ethernet controllers, possible to use one of these?

I can say that way back I was one of those with issues with a realtek NIC. It was a pain to figure out that it was the cause as it would do things like you're experiencing. Finally came to figuring it out that multiple concurrent transfers would cause a lock up/loss of network. A single transfer would be fine. Added an intel NIC and never had a problem after.

26 minutes ago, bnevets27 said:

I can say that way back I was one of those with issues with a realtek NIC. It was a pain to figure out that it was the cause as it would do things like you're experiencing. Finally came to figuring it out that multiple concurrent transfers would cause a lock up/loss of network. A single transfer would be fine. Added an intel NIC and never had a problem after.

I use the intel nic for my pfsense vm. I will prob just not upgrade to the new version of unraid until this gets sorted out. 6.5.3 works flawlessly.

3 hours ago, bnevets27 said:

This is exactly it! I have a quad port intel nic running all my pfsense stuff and an onboard realtek running the main unraid stuff. This explains why pfsense still works perfect when everything else dies. Is this something the unraid team can look into? I'm sure I'm not the only one using a realtek unboard nic

27 minutes ago, wdelarme said:

Is this something the unraid team can look into? I'm sure I'm not the only one using a realtek unboard nic

I can only tell you that I had an issue with the RealTek drivers a few years back.  LimeTech and I were involved with a behind-the-scene  investigation.  At that time, those drivers were a real mess.  (...and I suspect that is still the case!!!)  There were the drivers that were provided by the Linux team and a set of drivers for Linux from RealTek.  With some releases, one set would work and not the other. On the next release, the reverse was true.  Sometime, both sets would work...  At that time, I was told that LimeTech was throwing in the towel on trying to figure out which way to hop and would release ALL future upgrades using only the drivers for the RealTek chip set that was provided by the Linux team.  

Edited by Frank1940
21 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

I can only tell you that I had an issue with the RealTek drivers a few years back.  LimeTech and I were involved with a behind-the-scene  investigation.  At that time, those drivers were a real mess.  (...and I suspect that is still the case!!!)  There were the drivers that were provided by the Linux team and a set of drivers for Linux from RealTek.  With some releases, one set would work and not the other. On the next release, the reverse was true.  Sometime, both sets would work...  At that time, I was told that LimeTech was throwing in the towel on trying to figure out which way to hop and would release ALL future upgrades using only the drivers for the RealTek chip set that was provided by the Linux team.  

I sent a message to UNRAID admins to see if this is something they want to mess with or if I should just wait until a new kernel comes out and try to go to 6.6.0 then

Yep i know that, that was i think in the early days of unRaid 5.

I experimented also with the r8168 and r8169 drivers, but i had no problems for ages with that Realtek Nic's.

But it is definately a problem that has to be solved.

I mean these nic's are used in appox. 80% of the Motherboards used worldwide and i think many of the unRaid users use them, although i am asking myself why only a few people report that problem here.

On 9/25/2018 at 3:58 PM, bungee91 said:

Admit to being out of the loop here, but I did search this topic without a clear answer.

Does this release resolve the "nomodeset" need in the syslinux.cfg for Aspeed VGA becoming a funny color?

I've removed it to test, but haven't booted into 6.6 as of yet.

Currently on an X11SSM-F MB. 

+1 If you test, let me know please.

Edited by cybrnook
  • limetech unfeatured and unpinned this topic