Jump to content
limetech

Unraid OS version 6.6.0 available

269 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Admit to being out of the loop here, but I did search this topic without a clear answer.

Does this release resolve the "nomodeset" need in the syslinux.cfg for Aspeed VGA becoming a funny color?

 

I've removed it to test, but haven't booted into 6.6 as of yet.

Currently on an X11SSM-F MB. 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, wdelarme said:

Will try this later..I need to update to 6.6 again

 

11 hours ago, wdelarme said:

I installed with no problem everything ran great for a few hours then unraid wouldn't allow any connections from any machine on my network also couldnt get to GUI, Couldnt access shares or dockers but my pfsense vm was accessible....I had to init 6 the unraid box and upon reboot everything worked fine for a few hours and again same issue. I reverted back to previous version of unraid and all is fine. I tried updating again and a few hours later same issue so I had to init 6 the box again and everything worked fine again for a few hours. I'm now reverted back for the second time with previous unraid version and all is stable. Is there a specific log file I can get to when I update again for the third time that might help when I lose all connectivity besides my vm pfsense that I could post here to help? I did the update assistant and it said everything was ok to update just to verify it wasn't a known docker issue

Ok added Diagnostics files tower-diagnostics-20180925-2138.zip .  tower-diagnostics-20180925-2154.zip these are right after it died

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, wdelarme said:

 

Ok added Diagnostics files tower-diagnostics-20180925-2138.zip .  tower-diagnostics-20180925-2154.zip these are right after it died

In both cases one of the last entries in the stack trace is

NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0 (r8169): transmit queue 0 timed out

... meaning that something within the network driver of your eth0 pooped itself (as far as I understand; right?).

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, wdelarme said:

I installed with no problem everything ran great for a few hours then unraid wouldn't allow any connections from any machine on my network also couldnt get to GUI,

The common denominator for people having connection problems is the use of a Realtek ethernet controller.

Realtek has a history of miss and hit, and perhaps the latest kernel has a 'problematic' Realtek driver?

You do have Intel ethernet controllers, possible to use one of these?

Share this post


Link to post

I can say that way back I was one of those with issues with a realtek NIC. It was a pain to figure out that it was the cause as it would do things like you're experiencing. Finally came to figuring it out that multiple concurrent transfers would cause a lock up/loss of network. A single transfer would be fine. Added an intel NIC and never had a problem after.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, bnevets27 said:

I can say that way back I was one of those with issues with a realtek NIC. It was a pain to figure out that it was the cause as it would do things like you're experiencing. Finally came to figuring it out that multiple concurrent transfers would cause a lock up/loss of network. A single transfer would be fine. Added an intel NIC and never had a problem after.

 

 

I use the intel nic for my pfsense vm. I will prob just not upgrade to the new version of unraid until this gets sorted out. 6.5.3 works flawlessly.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, bnevets27 said:

I can say that way back I was one of those with issues with a realtek NIC. It was a pain to figure out that it was the cause as it would do things like you're experiencing. Finally came to figuring it out that multiple concurrent transfers would cause a lock up/loss of network. A single transfer would be fine. Added an intel NIC and never had a problem after.

 

 

This is exactly it! I have a quad port intel nic running all my pfsense stuff and an onboard realtek running the main unraid stuff. This explains why pfsense still works perfect when everything else dies. Is this something the unraid team can look into? I'm sure I'm not the only one using a realtek unboard nic

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, wdelarme said:

Is this something the unraid team can look into? I'm sure I'm not the only one using a realtek unboard nic

I can only tell you that I had an issue with the RealTek drivers a few years back.  LimeTech and I were involved with a behind-the-scene  investigation.  At that time, those drivers were a real mess.  (...and I suspect that is still the case!!!)  There were the drivers that were provided by the Linux team and a set of drivers for Linux from RealTek.  With some releases, one set would work and not the other. On the next release, the reverse was true.  Sometime, both sets would work...  At that time, I was told that LimeTech was throwing in the towel on trying to figure out which way to hop and would release ALL future upgrades using only the drivers for the RealTek chip set that was provided by the Linux team.  

Edited by Frank1940

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

I can only tell you that I had an issue with the RealTek drivers a few years back.  LimeTech and I were involved with a behind-the-scene  investigation.  At that time, those drivers were a real mess.  (...and I suspect that is still the case!!!)  There were the drivers that were provided by the Linux team and a set of drivers for Linux from RealTek.  With some releases, one set would work and not the other. On the next release, the reverse was true.  Sometime, both sets would work...  At that time, I was told that LimeTech was throwing in the towel on trying to figure out which way to hop and would release ALL future upgrades using only the drivers for the RealTek chip set that was provided by the Linux team.  

I sent a message to UNRAID admins to see if this is something they want to mess with or if I should just wait until a new kernel comes out and try to go to 6.6.0 then

Share this post


Link to post

Yep i know that, that was i think in the early days of unRaid 5.

I experimented also with the r8168 and r8169 drivers, but i had no problems for ages with that Realtek Nic's.

But it is definately a problem that has to be solved.

I mean these nic's are used in appox. 80% of the Motherboards used worldwide and i think many of the unRaid users use them, although i am asking myself why only a few people report that problem here.

Share this post


Link to post

Just wanted to congratulate the UnRAID team. This update seems to have made everything so much more snappy/responsive. Very happy customer. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, Stupifier said:

Just wanted to congratulate the UnRAID team. This update seems to have made everything so much more snappy/responsive. Very happy customer. Thanks!

Thank you, good to have a pat on the back once in a while between the kicks in the rear ;)

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Stupifier said:

Just wanted to congratulate the UnRAID team. This update seems to have made everything so much more snappy/responsive. Very happy customer. Thanks!

 

Indeed. In a time where most upgrades are becoming paid every year this is welcome. Almost getting to the point where I'll buy another pro license, just incase!

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/25/2018 at 3:58 PM, bungee91 said:

Admit to being out of the loop here, but I did search this topic without a clear answer.

Does this release resolve the "nomodeset" need in the syslinux.cfg for Aspeed VGA becoming a funny color?

 

I've removed it to test, but haven't booted into 6.6 as of yet.

Currently on an X11SSM-F MB. 

+1 If you test, let me know please.

Edited by cybrnook

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, Dazog said:

Intel finally updated there OOB Ethernet drivers to support 4.18 maybe? 

Nope.

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, Dazog said:

Appears 4.18.10 is out with fix for crash on threadripper. PSP security. 

Has this crash been reported by anyone here AFAYK?

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, limetech said:

Has this crash been reported by anyone here AFAYK?

You guys patched the psp out:

 set CRYPTO_DEV_SP_PSP=N otherwise udev deadlocks on threadripper

 

With 4.18.10 it's now fixed. no more PSP=N needed.

Edited by Dazog

Share this post


Link to post

Hello what forum would i post in for an issue with this latest version?

Probably self induced but need help with my friends server.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, ajgoyt said:

Hello what forum would i post in for an issue with this latest version?

Probably self induced but need help with my friends server.

On the Forum    Home   >>>   UNRAID OS 6 SUPPORT    >>>     General Support 

Share this post


Link to post

Updated the work Dell - zero issues.

1vm win 10 with gpu and Intel nic pass through.  Still using the saslp Supermicro (marvel) disk controller. 

 

Web Gui is very pretty and feels snappier.  Nice job. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/26/2018 at 9:50 PM, cybrnook said:

+1 If you test, let me know please.

It's not needed anymore, at least not for me, also with an X11SSM-F.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.