6.6.0 GUI

tucansam

30 minutes ago, tucansam said:

Just upgraded to 6.6.0.

How do I make the GUI look like anything prior to 6.6.0?  I want to go back to the old look, where my eyes were adapted to instantly finding what I was looking for every time I tabbed through the GUI.

Thanks. 

I don't think you can.  I mean the layout hasn't changed, just the font and the banner, the rest is pretty much identical as far as I can tell.

Its pretty terrible.

Everything is "bigger."  Even this forum post.  The forum has even changed.  Whereas I used to be able to fit a lot of the GUI on my screen when maximized, and monitor a lot of different things at once, now the GUI is "bigger" and takes up more space, and less stuff is visible simultaneously.  Azure and the other ones put the taskbar on the left side (lame) and "white" just has gigantic text and buttons that look like they were made with Crayola crayons.

Do not like.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, tucansam said:

Its pretty terrible.

Everything is "bigger."  Even this forum post.  The forum has even changed.  Whereas I used to be able to fit a lot of the GUI on my screen when maximized, and monitor a lot of different things at once, now the GUI is "bigger" and takes up more space, and less stuff is visible simultaneously.  Azure and the other ones put the taskbar on the left side (lame) and "white" just has gigantic text and buttons that look like they were made with Crayola crayons.

Do not like.

Screenshots please. 🤔

I agree with tucansam, the new UI is terrible. I already said this in the beta, but clearly it hasnt been changed. It is like it were made for people who should where glasses. 

I like the new design somewhat, preffered the old, but the new one is ok. But I shouldnt have to downsize the view. Atleast they made the buttons smaller from the beta, but text is still way too large. 

Either change it or let us define the size our self. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, ZataH said:

the new UI is terrible. I already said this in the beta, but clearly it hasnt been changed.

As explained in the beta section the font size was enlarged to play nicer on high resolution screens. And in my opinion it is perfect.

If you find it too large for your taste use the zoom function of your browser.  When using Chrome it will remember the individual setting per site, so you only need to do this once.

8 minutes ago, bonienl said:

As explained in the beta section the font size was enlarged to play nicer on high resolution screens. And in my opinion it is perfect.

If you find it too large for your taste use the zoom function of your browser.  When using Chrome it will remember the individual setting per site, so you only need to do this once.

I have a 1440p monitor at home, and it is still way too large on that. Why should people with fine sight be punished because some people might find it small?

The problem with using the the "zoom out" method, is that everything else you open from your unraid address is smaller too. 

You shouldnt force something like this on people. Make it a chouice, fine, but dont force it. Clearly I am not the only one who really doesnt like it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You can count me as another user unhappy with the new look.  I love the feature updates, but the font, the color, the size...it all looks bad.  I understand some will like the new “cool” look, but I’m not using Unraid as a cool toy and would prefer to have something that looks a bit more professional. 

I know a bad theme isn’t the end of the world, but I think you’d do better if you offered options for all of your users...those who want something flashy and those wanting a professional look.  Just my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, SenorLoco said:

You can count me as another user unhappy with the new look.  I love the feature updates, but the font, the color, the size...it all looks bad.  I understand some will like the new “cool” look, but I’m not using Unraid as a cool toy and would prefer to have something that looks a bit more professional. 

I know a bad theme isn’t the end of the world, but I think you’d do better if you offered options for all of your users...those who want something flashy and those wanting a professional look.  Just my opinion. 

If you want us to make improvements, we need more specifics. It is hard to quantify terms "it all looks bad" or "more professional",

Try to explain what you find is wrong, and even better suggest examples/solutions of how to improve.

Edited by bonienl
2 minutes ago, bonienl said:

If you want us to make improvements, we need more specifics. It is hard to quantify terms "it all looks bad" or "more professional",

Try to explain what you find is wrong, and even better suggest examples/solutions of how to improve.

Well, that's easy.  Go back to the old GUI.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
22 hours ago, bonienl said:

This could be the same argument for people with high resolution screens who find the old GUI too small -- "use the zoom function of your browser."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, bonienl said:

I guess that's why browsers have this function 😉

Some changes are done to better deal with the "font size" complaints...

Maybe those should have used the zoom function or get glasses. 

I dont get this whole "we got some complaints" so we are gonna force this stupid shit on everybody. Why are there no options? 

Seems really unprofessional in my opinion to just force this on everybody, and the response is "deal with it"

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ZataH said:

Maybe those should have used the zoom function or get glasses. 

I dont get this whole "we got some complaints" so we are gonna force this stupid shit on everybody. Why are there no options? 

Seems really unprofessional in my opinion to just force this on everybody, and the response is "deal with it"

TL;DR: Boo hoo! Deal with it!

It's very hard to take your comment regarding professionalism too seriously. Last I checked, the "s" word is widely deemed "unprofessional". Perhaps you still live in the age when it WAS professional to use it?

If so, this may be breaking news to you, people have moved on.

This is kinda like when Windows came out and the DOS folks were whining.

Then Win 95 came out and the Win 3.11 folks were whining.

Then XP came out and the 95 folks were whining.

Then Vista came out, then 7-8-10 came out.

The old GUI looks dated, like it was designed when "myspace" was still a thing. It needs to go into the history book so I can proudly tell my future great grand child "I was using unRAID back when it was still like THIS". The new look is modern and professional i.e. I dig it #PapaTriesToBeCool.

24 minutes ago, testdasi said:

TL;DR: Boo hoo! Deal with it!

It's very hard to take your comment regarding professionalism too seriously. Last I checked, the "s" word is widely deemed "unprofessional". Perhaps you still live in the age when it WAS professional to use it?

What are you talking about?

Why is a "super cool" UI so important?

But my problem is not so much with the new design, event though I hate material design, but that is just my preference. 

The problem I (and a lot of other) have is the size of the font and textures. What does that have to do with being stuck in "myspace age"?

Seems to me you are one of those people who complaint about font size, and are now pissed because some people dont agree with you. 

37 minutes ago, ZataH said:

What are you talking about?

Why is a "super cool" UI so important?

But my problem is not so much with the new design, event though I hate material design, but that is just my preference.  

The problem I (and a lot of other) have is the size of the font and textures. What does that have to do with being stuck in "myspace age"?

Seems to me you are one of those people who complaint about font size, and are now pissed because some people dont agree with you. 

When you mentioned "a lot of other", my question for you is "who?"

There are 3 people in this topic loudly protesting (and in your case, rudely) and, worse, refusing to use available facilities to deal with it.

I can say I (and a lot of other) have no problem with the font size.

I used being stuck in the myspace age as a figure of speech i.e. being stuck in a nostalgic past and refusing to accept the world has moved on. So in this particular case, it's about wanting things to be like what it was and refusing to accept that unRAID has moved on to a new design (and Google has moved on to a new design).

And no, I did not complain about the original GUI font size.

I am also not complaining about the new GUI font size.

I zoom out and I zoom in!

So why am I pissed?

Because I just saw Unraid giving in to a small group of users who complained the loudest (with a bonus nomination for the vaguest complaint of all time award).

It's about time someone stands up for the nice and quiet majority who would prefer unRAID to progress instead of staying in the "myspace age" in order to please the vocal few who refuse to adapt.

3 minutes ago, testdasi said:

When you mentioned "a lot of other", my question for you is "who?"

There are 3 people in this topic loudly protesting (and in your case, rudely) and, worse, refusing to use available facilities to deal with it.

I can say I (and a lot of other) have no problem with the font size.

I used being stuck in the myspace age as a figure of speech i.e. being stuck in a nostalgic past and refusing to accept the world has moved on. So in this particular case, it's about wanting things to be like what it was and refusing to accept that unRAID has moved on to a new design (and Google has moved on to a new design).

And no, I did not complain about the original GUI font size.

I am also not complaining about the new GUI font size.

I zoom out and I zoom in!

So why am I pissed?

Because I just saw Unraid giving in to a small group of users who complained the loudest (with a bonus nomination for the vaguest complaint of all time award).

It's about time someone stands up for the nice and quiet majority who would prefer unRAID to progress instead of staying in the "myspace age" in order to please the vocal few who refuse to adapt.

As I already told you, I dont mind the new design, even though I dont like it. What I do have a problem with, is the increase of the font on both Unraid UI and the forum, that is using something A LOT bigger than what everyone else would use, just to make a small group of users happy. 

If the company really insist so much on having this big-size font, atleast make it is a choice for the people who didnt have a problem with the old one. 

An no just using the zoom down function will not work for me. Because everything else I open from the unraid address will then be too small. 

I'm not seeing any big changes in the font size causing issues with stuff fitting the screen except for the following,

On the main Docker tab the Advanced view no longer fits my screen width due to the added load columns. As for the basic view, I hate those drop down arrows - all they achieve is cluttering the screen up to hide a few lines of text. Then, when I click them I have to click both the port and volume mapping because some goofy bottom justify thing is happening. I vote just get rid of attempting those arrows all together. See the screenshot of what happened clicking the volume mapping down arrow.

The other thing is the hard boxes around all the options to set.  Example places would be a VM edit screen or the disk setting screen. The hard lined boxes around each setting are very odd to see compared to how it's done by pretty much everyone else these days. I think it also contributes to requiring more space between items that isn't necessary to have and just causes more scrolling. If you want to talk how it's a modern layout, hard outlined setting boxes like that are very old school and not modern at all.

It looks good otherwise. The other main tabs seem to fit the screen about the same as before.

Docker.JPG