Successful Core i7 Build

Wanted to help folks looking to build or upgrade......

I just ungraded my tower to an intel core i7-7820x

ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E MOBO

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb RAM

Cooler Master Hyper RR 212E-20PK-R2 LED CPU Cooler

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 Mini, ZT-P10600A-10L, 6GB GDDR5 VR Ready Super Compact Gaming Graphics Card (old board ran vid off of mobo so needed something)

Currently running an old Rocket Raid SAS controller while waiting for cables for LSI Logic LSI00344 9300-8i SGL SAS 8Port 12Gb/s PCIE3.0 HBA Controller

Box is running with 10 assorted sized WD Red drives totaling 39TB of storage

And of course, Unraid 6.6.0

ZERO problems so far.  In fact, did a test run today and managed to run via PLEX 9 simultaneous BluRay movies from the stored media on the box.

Only tweaking was done in the BIOS.  I updated BIOS version before I rebuilt the box and once the mobo was in, just needed to adjust boot sequence and RAM frequency.

THANKS to all who helped me out and answered my questions.  This has been a great stable build so far and vast improvement over my 8 year old mobo/processor setup.  Hope this helps somebody else out!

On 9/20/2018 at 6:02 AM, isrdude said:

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 Mini, ZT-P10600A-10L, 6GB GDDR5 VR Ready Super Compact Gaming Graphics Card (old board ran vid off of mobo so needed something)

Looking at upgrading to an x299 setup - want to passthrough the GPU for video editing (Davinci Resolve) - have you tried a VM and doing this? GPU passthrough, that is. Reading a few other threads, I am not sure if I need something like a 1080 Ti, *AND* another GPU to make it work, such as the one you used.

Xav.

On 9/20/2018 at 4:42 AM, testdasi said:

#NeedPics ;)

I have heard the masses speak!!!!! Here are a few pictures.  You can see in one pic the overall height and width of the box.  Inside, you can see it's pretty jammed in there to fit 10 storage drives, parity drive, GPU, SAS Controller, and Heat Sink/Fan.  Every spot I could within the I put fans.  You can't see them, for the most part, but they are tucked away to give venting anywhere possible.  Soooooo, all of the equipment, plus the cabling led to a cramped box.  So far though, no cooling issues at all.  Zero!!!

box 1.jpg

box 2.jpg

box 3.jpg