Problems with CentOS 7 VMs clock synchronization

dnLL

Hi all,

I noticed there is a problem with the time synchronization between my different CentOS VMs. They have by default chrony installed and are supposed to sync every once in a while. When I do force a synchronization, it does work, but not for a very long time, after a little while (even only minutes) there is a time difference.

I noticed that all my VMs used the default tsc clocksource, as does my unRAID system. I'm running OVMF BIOS on my VMs (as I've never had any issue in the past and it's the default option). The only other available clocksource is acpi_pm and it does seem to help from what I've seen although there is still a small difference when I tried it.

Is there anything special I should be doing to avoid any clocksource problems on unRAID VMs? Why isn't kvm-clock proposed on my guests, I must have a done something wrong? My unRAID server time is correct and synced properly, it's only inside the VMs (which for the most part run 24/7).