Turn on IOMMU Gigabyte EX58-UD3R

45 minutes ago, tjb_altf4 said:

That looks like an i7-920?

No vt-d support, but there are socket compatible xeon and i7 extreme chips that do support vt-d if your keeping costs down (please DYOR on mobo compatibility before purchasing).

I had a x5670 xeon in my gigabyte ex58-ud5 before moving it to a x58 ROG GENE III, with the later being my first Unraid build.

Thanks. No form of vt-d in the bios. Been searching. 

Thank for the info. 

47 minutes ago, tjb_altf4 said:

That looks like an i7-920?

No vt-d support, but there are socket compatible xeon and i7 extreme chips that do support vt-d if your keeping costs down (please DYOR on mobo compatibility before purchasing).

I had a x5670 xeon in my gigabyte ex58-ud5 before moving it to a x58 ROG GENE III, with the later being my first Unraid build.

Yip it is the 920. 

I'll see what I can find thank you. 

As stated before in this thread, both CPU and mitherboard (chipset) and BIOS need to support vt-d. I have had notherboards equal to yours, and I researched it quite alot. I found that X58 chipset does support vt-d but is not included as an option i BIOS. i7-920 or other CPU's in the serie support vt-d. But a Xeon in lga 1366 should. Check on intel ark before investing. But back to your chipset. I found a beta bios somewhere, where i cant remember, but it claimed to give the option in BIOS to enable vt-d. But my advice is to invest in either a workstation motherboard or server motherboard. Since you still have to invest in a CPU anyways, maybe its time to upgrade. Should you live in DK close to Copenhagen, then i have a CPU fitting your board that support vt-d, but then you still need the special BIOS...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for the info. This forum is awesome. As @bonienlsaid this isn't needed for virtualising so ill be fine for a while. Specially since this server is running fine for what I need at the moment. 

Thank you @Alphahelixunfortunately I'm in Australia. 

I'll look around for a similar bios update and see what I can do but I can live with it for now. 

My last computer had an i7-920 in it (Asus P6t).  I ebay'd a Xeon X5670 and dropped it in.  I was half-hoping for Registered RAM support but it didn't happen, but I did get the faster clocks and an extra two cores.  Well worth the ~$40 shipped it cost me.  

Ever since getting into unRaid, I often wish I hadn't sold it off.