Boot loop after upgrade to 6.6.0

mudsloth

I tried updating through the GUI from 6.5.3 to 6.6.0, but then my system just gets into a continuous boot loop. I plugged a monitor into it and it gets past the boot select screen, then restarts after the first couple lines of the unRAID boot sequence. I'm able to boot in safe mode without issue and was able to restore to 6.5.3, but now I'm not sure what to do.

I'm attaching my diagnostics pulled from a little bit after successfully restoring the old version. I'm hoping someone knows how to figure out what's going on.

diagnostics-20180921-0824.zip

Some users reported a similar issue in the past.

Two approaches to try:

1) In your BIOS select "legacy" boot mode & rename the folder EFI to EFI- (located on your USB stick)

2) In your BIOS select "UEFI" boot mode and make sure only ONE boot device (your USB stick) is enabled. Name the folder EFI

Edited by bonienl
On 9/22/2018 at 11:18 PM, bonienl said:

Some users reported a similar issue in the past.

Two approaches to try:

1) In your BIOS select "legacy" boot mode & rename the folder EFI to EFI- (located on your USB stick)

2) In your BIOS select "UEFI" boot mode and make sure only ONE boot device (your USB stick) is enabled. Name the folder EFI

Should I rename the folder before or after upgrading through the GUI? Or does it matter?

Edited by mudsloth
16 minutes ago, mudsloth said:

Should I rename the folder before or after upgrading through the GUI? Or does it matter?

Go ahead and rename the folder before upgrading, that way on reboot after the upgrade you can just enter the BIOS and make any necessary changes before booting into unRAID.  You will need to rename the folder at some point before a reboot.

In my case, option 2 resolved my problem.  The system will only boot "normally (non-GUI mode)" with UEFI boot (folder renamed to EFI) and the only boot option set to "UEFI:[name of USB stick]"

Edited by Hoopster