Search should default to "and"; should not ignore useful search terms

Hi

I'm trying to find how to specify my Cloudflare DNS API key in the letsencrypt + nginx docker, so I went to the thread: 

and searched for cloudflare api.

I got back search results claiming to be for "cloudflare" OR "api", with a link to click to search for "cloudflare AND api". I think that AND should be the default: Google, eBay and Amazon all default to AND, and these are probably the three most used search boxes on the Internet! It's not good to break user expectations just for the sake of it…

(Yes, there's an option on the dropdown — but I don't see any way I can configure "AND" to be the default! Could we maybe have a user preference for this?)

This is particularly annoying with the timeout between searches, as you have to wait for the timeout if you get it wrong. I could understand having that for anonymous users, but logged-in users should be able to search again straight away — anybody abusing the system could be warned and banned if they keep hammering the server.

Finally, after all this, I still don't get results containing "api". A search for the term on its own produces "There were no results for your search. Try broadening your criteria or choosing a different content area." — this is despite my having seen posts on the thread that contain the term. Has "api" been configured as a stop word? If so, please could you change that? It's a pretty useful term to be able to search for in a lot of the Docker threads…

I did find what I was looking for in the end (in the appdata's dns-conf folder) but I had to use DuckDuckGo to find the info…

Edited by ElectricBadger
Added final note
  • 4 months later...