UNRAID 6.6 Unable to connect to Localhost (Connection refused)

Sagster

Hi all! Apologies if this thread has already been discussed a zillion times, but after spending hours searching for this or a similar thread in the forums I haven't found anything that works for me.

My problem is that I can't connect to my unraid server (Mr.Mulse) after creating some users (at least that's my assumption, I think I have messed up the access rights somehow, and I have been able to ban me from my own server... "LoL"). I've been playing this mornig with the server, creating shares, downloading plugins (btw, huge thanks to SpaceinvaderOne for the tutorials), and I have created additional users to play with (Multimedia user to connect using my appleTV, a guest user to allow my friends to connect to my server, and so on). After setting the user access control to my shares, I have rebooted the machine, and "voilá!" I cannot access it anymore.

From my iMac, chrome says the connection is refused, and if I go to the server and use the GUI, I can logon using the root user with the password, but Firefox says it can connect to the local host.

I have run the diagnostics tool, and attached is the report.

Anyone willing to help a lone wolf? :_(

thanks a lot guys!

mr.mulse-diagnostics-20180922-1254.zip

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

The syslog seems to think your server name is just "Mr" instead of "Mr.Mulse". Did you change your servername?

The id of the computer IS Mr.Mulse  However due to the period it is getting truncated to Mr   Get rid of the period (name the server instead MrMulse) and probably half the problems will go away

4 minutes ago, Squid said:

The id of the computer IS Mr.Mulse  However due to the period it is getting truncated to Mr   Get rid of the period (name the server instead MrMulse) and probably half the problems will go away

That's what I was thinking too, but according to the 6.4 Update Notes, period is allowed.

15 minutes ago, trurl said:

Can you access it from iMac using the IP address?

Nothing you mentioned seems like it should have caused the problem, but no doubt you didn't really tell us everything you did.

The syslog seems to think your server name is just "Mr" instead of "Mr.Mulse". Did you change your servername?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I can't access it form my iMac. Chrome keeps saying "Connection Refused" (see first attachment)(sorry, it's in spanish...)

But if I ping to it, it's alive (see second attachment).

Indeed, I changed the name of the server from "Tower" to Mr.Mulse, and prior to play with the users I have restarted the server several times and it was working flawlesly... I don't know why now it's "in a bad mood..."

Thanks again for the help, guys...

Chrome.JPG

Ping.JPG

Hi guys!

Things turning bad to worst... now the server is not even posting...

Start thinking of some hardware issue. Troubleshooting right now....

I'll let you know if any progress. Definetely I will try Squid suggestion (I should've thought about the name before typing it...).

Thanks again for your help, very much appreciated!

I haven't changed anything in my config in a few versions, and after upgrading to 6.6.0 the machine is refusing connections.  Ever since the update I can't connect to the machine.  Booting now takes forever, too.  There's a message about ECC not being enabled and that module not loading, and then it pauses there for a few minutes before finally continuing to boot.  But once it has finished booting and the login prompt is displayed on the screen the machine isn't running as normal.  Connections refused means the machine is basically a brick.  Incredibly annoying.

Edited by _Shorty

Yep, downgrade to 6.5.3 and the machine boots in a minute as always, and in another minute everything is reachable as always.  Upgrade to 6.6.0 and booting alone takes several minutes, and it never becomes reachable via the network, and the only way to access the machine is physically.  Have to boot GUI mode and use the built in browser to downgrade to get it working again.  Whatever info you'd like to see I can get for you, but it'll be a little time-consuming, what with having to go sneakernet on it's behind.

On 9/22/2018 at 3:31 PM, Sagster said:

Hi guys!

Things turning bad to worst... now the server is not even posting...

Start thinking of some hardware issue. Troubleshooting right now....

I'll let you know if any progress. Definetely I will try Squid suggestion (I should've thought about the name before typing it...).

Thanks again for your help, very much appreciated!

Hi guys! Finally yesterday I fixed the problem. When I was checking the USB to change the server name as Squid suggested, it started to behave "abnormally", I run a couple tests on the USB drive and it turned out to have bad sectors. Once repaired, I noticed there were some files missing, among them "ident.cfg". I replaced it with the one on the diagnostics file, and also, edited the server name. Now it has been working for 24 hours without any issue. I'll keep testing the machine to see if it's stable.

Thanks again for your support, guys! ...next beer is on me ;-)

• 1 year later...

Same issue with 6.8.0 rc1.  Takes forever to boot, and is never reachable on the network.  Have to go back to 6.5.3 in order to use the machine normally again.  Nice to see nobody ever bothered replying with what information I need to gather and share in order to troubleshoot.

5 minutes ago, _Shorty said:

Nice to see nobody ever bothered replying with what information I need to gather and share in order to troubleshoot.

There's really no need to be snarky. You should start your own thread, not hijack someone else's and post your diagnostics, as bonienl suggested. If you can't connect then plug in a keyboard and monitor and type

diagnostics

Post the zip file that's created in the logs folder on your USB flash device.

Sorry, was just annoyed that after upgrading I was reminded that newer versions are unreachable via network, and now I have to go fetch the machine and move it to access it locally.  I started a new thread with old-version diags, and am in the process of upgrading and then getting new-version diags, which I will post over there.  Thanks for telling me where to find those.