Update second USB to current unraid version (SOLVED)

Userpaul

(Assuming there isn't anything important on that drive. If there is do a backup first)

The only file that needs saving from the old thumb drive is the pro.key or plus.key file in your config folder.

Then you can either just copy you existing 6.5.3 flash drive over top of the old thumb drive, or use the Limetech create new USB tool.

Once done, place that key file you saved back in the config folder, replacing any other one copied across. The pro.key file is linked to the USB guid and is what tells unRaid you have a valid license for that USB stick.

1 hour ago, tr0910 said:

(Assuming there isn't anything important on that drive. If there is do a backup first)

The only file that needs saving from the old thumb drive is the pro.key or plus.key file in your config folder.

Then you can either just copy you existing 6.5.3 flash drive over top of the old thumb drive, or use the Limetech create new USB tool.

Once done, place that key file you saved back in the config folder, replacing any other one copied across. The pro.key file is linked to the USB guid and is what tells unRaid you have a valid license for that USB stick.

Thank you very much

• 2 months later...

So.. a few months later I try to update my second usb drive :)

But in my config folder I don't have the pro.key or plus.key file

b29b151fb8.png

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Edit - I have my original por 2 key on an email, could I paste that one in the config file. I have never used this usb so I probably never pasted the key into the config file. I'm assuming the key is still valid?

e398d99c30.png

Thank you

Edited by Userpaul

The key file is still valid (assuming that you still have that UBS flash that has that GUID.   If you don't have that flash drive, you can use any GOOD quality UBS2 (preferred) drive of less than 32GB.  Then you can get a new key file for that new flash drive by using this procedure:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Changing_The_Flash_Device

You can use any computer that get the new key file as Unraid will not modify any hard drive that is on that system UNLESS you tell it to! 

Edited by Frank1940
  • Userpaul changed the title to Update second USB to current unraid version (SOLVED)

It looks like I never added my second key.

Formatted USB, copied across from 1st usb and put my second key in the config folder and everything works.

Thank you for the support.

Although I have to add that a second key seems pointless with all the usb backup and recovery options available now.

Edited by Userpaul
13 minutes ago, Userpaul said:

Although I have to add that a second key seems pointless with all the usb backup and recovery options available now.

You could use it to build a TRUE backup Server for those files that are irreplaceable.  Although for even more security, that server should be located physically off-site.  (Physical damage ---fire, flood, theft, earthquake, etc.--- becomes a significant risk component as you add more redundancy to your backup plan!)