[REQUEST] Mastodon

mbezzo

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/6/2020 at 1:14 AM, RobotKoalaFromHell said:

Two years late but I found your post when looking to setup Mastodon myself.

I ended up getting it working and wrote up a guide to document the whole process.

Hopefully it helps someone

https://fixflare.com/en/posts/unraid/mastodon/

I tried following this guide but on the third bash command "RAILS_ENV=production bin/bundle exec rake mastodon:webpush:generate_vapid_key" it generates an error and no key is generated. Any suggestions?

• 2 months later...
On 10/17/2020 at 9:36 AM, thunderclap said:

I tried following this guide but on the third bash command "RAILS_ENV=production bin/bundle exec rake mastodon:webpush:generate_vapid_key" it generates an error and no key is generated. Any suggestions?

I fixed that by running `export SECRET_KEY_BASE=xxxxxx` and `export OTP_SECRET=xxxxxx` (values from the prior rake secret calls), and then I could call `rake mastodon:webpush:generate_vapid_key` and get valid values. I'm working through the linked process, but trying to use the all-in-one docker image from https://github.com/Wonderfall/docker-mastodon. Note that you still have to run the non-Mastodon services, like Postgres and Redis, separately.

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I just got the wonderfall repository version running in Unraid after a couple of days' trial and error. I am planning to create a CA template for it. It's definitely not an out-of-the-box experience as far as app installs go - there are dependencies involved so it's never going to be for the faint of heart. I've never done CA templates before so stay tuned while I figure that out. 😀 Feel free to ask questions in the meantime if you're trying to work through it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
9 hours ago, thunderclap said:

Were you able to create an Owner account? I was only able to create an Admin one.

Yeah, the docs are wrong. There is no "owner" role anymore. Sounds like you got it but for anyone else: go to the docker's console and run this:

RAILS_ENV=production tootctl accounts modify ACCOUNTNAME --role admin

4 minutes ago, pkoasne said:

Yeah, the docs are wrong. There is no "owner" role anymore. Sounds like you got it but for anyone else: go to the docker's console and run this:

RAILS_ENV=production tootctl accounts modify ACCOUNTNAME --role admin

That actually didn't work for me. I had to find the 'tootctl' program and then just type 'tootctl accounts modify ACCOUNTNAME --role admin'

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, m1rc0 said:

Now we have this great CA available. See: https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-mastodon/pkgs/container/mastodon

I installed it and everything works fine, but I'm unable to get any mails out. Did anyone succeed?

This has been a major issue for me. I use Namecheap for my registrar and the email system for my domain and using their DNS system it points to DuckDNS. The issue is the DNS record using @ causes Gmail to think it's spam. If I remove the @ entry and just use www it works fine, but I can't find simple way to redirect domain.com to www.domain.com without breaking it again.

22 minutes ago, m1rc0 said:

Now we have this great CA available. See: https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-mastodon/pkgs/container/mastodon

I installed it and everything works fine, but I'm unable to get any mails out. Did anyone succeed?

I created an unraid template for the bytemark docker image that will send emails - it's available in the CA store:

https://unraid.net/community/apps?q=bytemark#r

Once you install just set your mail server in your mastodon config to the smtp container name and match the port to the container port (not host port). You can leave login/password blank in the mastodon config, just the host, port and from address. I've been getting emails without any problems.

Fair warning to anyone using the wonderfall container... the latest build is already updated to Mastodon 4.0 which is pre-release. I wish I had waited for linuxserver.io to do their magic. 😀

Edited by emptyfish
On 11/10/2022 at 10:00 AM, m1rc0 said:

I had great success with linuxserver's docker. I'm using my personal gmail for my email. smtp.gmail.com port 25. Only gotcha is you can't use your normal password, you need to generate an app password. Use this link to generate one and you are good to go.

• Like 1

Not much support out there, but this is the post with the most replies. Asking for some help.

I assume people have gotten this to work. I can't.

I ran into a block, thinking mariadb would work. Wrong. Spun up a postgres container, and that got me further. Then I had issues with redis.

I had authentication enabled, so had to turn that off in the docker template. That seems to be working, but I can't access the site at all.

The logs just keep showing SuspendedUserCleanupScheduler and AccountsStatusesCleanupScheduler jobs.

I am using Traefik and Cloudflare. The service is in Traefik, but maybe I need to manually configure it?

Edited by bencmeyer
  • 2 weeks later...

Max_toot_length is not configurable with official mastodon. Changing max_toot_length manually isn't great because every time the docker updates, your configuration will be wiped. To get around this I created a userscript which I manually run after I update the docker. replace 5000 with whatever length you want to use.

#!/bin/bash
docker exec mastodon sed -i 's/500/5000/g' /app/www/app/javascript/mastodon/features/compose/components/compose_form.js
docker exec mastodon sed -i 's/500/5000/g' /app/www/app/validators/status_length_validator.rb
docker exec mastodon sed -i 's/:registrations/:registrations, :max_toot_chars /g' /app/www/app/serializers/rest/instance_serializer.rb
docker exec mastodon sed -i 's/private/def max_toot_chars\n    5000\n  end\n\n  private/g' /app/www/app/serializers/rest/instance_serializer.rb
docker exec -w /app/www/app mastodon bundle exec rails assets:precompile && echo "pass" || echo "fail"
docker container restart mastodon

At some point I'll get tired of manually running the script and will add a precheck to determine if the script should be run or not.

Edited by pkoasne
  • Thanks 1

I still don‘t see the point of running Mastodon on your Unriad server since there are so many instances out there, even the official ones, where you can create an account and have people on there which you can follow instead of starting new and have no people or popular toots to follow, you can even change the server and register your account on a different server of you want too.

It‘s totally possible with the offiicial containers but not worth the effort, at least from my perspective.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 9:21 PM, ich777 said:

I still don‘t see the point of running Mastodon on your Unriad server since there are so many instances out there, even the official ones, where you can create an account and have people on there which you can follow instead of starting new and have no people or popular toots to follow, you can even change the server and register your account on a different server of you want too.

It‘s totally possible with the offiicial containers but not worth the effort, at least from my perspective.

The instance you choose (or host) has nothing to do with your ability to follow people or content from other servers. The point of Activity Pub/Federation is to have multiple servers that can talk to each other, or choose to be an isolated community if it serves the need. Over the last several weeks every time the big social network does something crazy there's been waves of users setting up new Mastodon accounts. The bigger Mastodon instances are strained under the load - they are all community-driven so run/paid for by volunteers. Under heavier load existing users will also have outages/lag/etc. Small or individual instances are a good way to offset those user spikes - it's how Mastodon and similar networks were designed to work.

I think if someone just wants to use mastodon then your point is well-taken, there are many instances out there with established communities that will allow you to get connected. It's also good to point out you can move servers - if you end up not liking your first choice you can always migrate your account without much effort.

1 hour ago, emptyfish said:

The point of Activity Pub/Federation is to have multiple servers that can talk to each other, or choose to be an isolated community if it serves the need.

Jup, but that also adds computational power, network traffic on your end and not to speak about storage.

The bigger Mastodon instances are strained under the load - they are all community-driven so run/paid for by volunteers. Under heavier load existing users will also have outages/lag/etc. Small or individual instances are a good way to offset those user spikes - it's how Mastodon and similar networks were designed to work.

But what if a bigger server or even a smaller server decides to shutdown without any warning, where your account is hosted, isn't everything gone or do I understand that not right?

It's also good to point out you can move servers - if you end up not liking your first choice you can always migrate your account without much effort.

That's true but with such small instances you are always taking the risk of being shutdown or better speaking your account is deleted.

From my opinion the maintenance and all that comes with it is not worth for a single small server with maybe one or two users on it.

Anyways that's a thing for another topic... :)