Offsite & Offline Backup Encryption

sentein

Right now i have 2 servers. One running everything and a Backup that updates weekly with an rsync cron. Soon i would like to get a few external Hdds and have an offsite/offline backup i might update once every 3-6 months. I would like to obviously keep this backup somewhere away from my house. I would like to encrypt this backup so only i can access the contents or remount it to an unraid server. I had originally intended to mount the Hdds as a pool with Unassigned Devices but i do not believe the Unassigned Devices can encrypt an external drive pool. On top of that, thinking this through if i had a failed drive in the external pool the entire pool would most likely not mount. By all means if either of these are incorrect please let me know.

A few discussion points i would like to bring up. Is there a good way to encrypt these external drives and still have a docker, VM or UD be able to read them with proper pass phrase? I would really like to use Clonezilla and do an entire from scratch backup of the array. If i made a clonezilla VM to run as a backup solution would it work? I know clonezilla should be booted from a USB or disk to work properly so the drives can be fully copied without screwing up clonezilla itself. It probably would not be worth it but, what would it take to make Clonzilla into a docker. Or create a backup docker that can be ran on the cache and would be able to mount the array and UD disks their own individual directorys. If that were possible UD could mount the disks then the Docker might be able to encrypt the disks. After that the docker could copy the information into the encrypted volumes.

Maybe even a Vercrypt Docker if such a thing is possible. If it would have to be an OS i could see a small ubuntu install as docker with the ability to add small programs such as a password manager. I guess more than anything i wanted to throw some thoughts out there and see what everyone thought. Also if you have any ideas i would love to hear them.