Mover enhancements

Can0n

May I suggest two things for Mover?

I would like to see an eta to completion added just like Parity Check and also a stop button that finishes the current file then ends.

I have a decently fast server running a little slow with mover and occasionally have some issues with it and need to reboot it but I do not want to do it with Mover running

300GB takes days to move with Sata2 backplane on Sata3 SAS card with Sata3 2.5" drives.

• Upvote 2

Can I ask what controller you're using? 300GB shouldn't take days. It should be done in an hour, and that's at only about 60MB/s, which you should be able to far exceed.

Also, if you have a bunch of other stuff writing directly to the array at the same time, this can cause disk thrashing on the parity drive(s), which can slow things down quite a bit.

On 9/25/2018 at 3:41 AM, -Daedalus said:

Can I ask what controller you're using? 300GB shouldn't take days. It should be done in an hour, and that's at only about 60MB/s, which you should be able to far exceed.

Also, if you have a bunch of other stuff writing directly to the array at the same time, this can cause disk thrashing on the parity drive(s), which can slow things down quite a bit.

you're right , and it used to be faster before i upgraded the CPU's it seems to fluctuate a lot when watched from 20-23MB/sec to as low as 100KB/sec

the server is an Acer AR380 F2 the controller is a HBA added LSI 9280 in IT mode feeding the 6 disks (two 1TB for Parity, 4 for Data) plus two 500GB SSD for cache. the disks are mostly 1TB WD blue 2.5" drives with two Samsung evo 860 500GB SSD's for cache ther eis one much older 630GB Hitachi and wondering if that older Sata 1 drive might be slowing the whole thing down even if its not writing from SSD to that drive

Edited by Can0nfan