New Ryzen Build


15 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

I am planning major overhaul of my unRAID server in the very near future. I am planning on jumping on the Ryzen bandwagon. I have been following ryzen news here on the forums and I am pretty confident in the parts I am looking at. Never the less, I would like a second set of eyes on it, more if possible. The link to PC part picker is below, I have yet to finish the build the Mobo, RAM, and Processor are my current concerns. I am already aware that the motherboard may need a bios update before it will accept the processor, not sure if i can find/get one with the proper bios to start with. One primary area of concern is the RAM. For my server I really want ECC RAM. PcPartPicker suggests that the it may not be compatible, but based on the documentation i think it should be. If anyone knows definitively I would appreciate confirmation.

 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/primeval_god/saved/Z33mqs

Link to post
On 9/28/2018 at 12:41 AM, primeval_god said:

For my server I really want ECC RAM. PcPartPicker suggests that the it may not be compatible, but based on the documentation i think it should be.

It should work, but it will operate in non-ECC mode, so really no point.

 

Can't comment on IOMMU grouping.

Link to post
7 minutes ago, primeval_god said:

It was my understanding that although Ryzen does not have official ECC support, ECC functionality has been achieved with certain mobos (and i was under the impression that this was one).  

Maybe, the problem is confirming it's really working, and according to Gigabyte: "Support for ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)", that's why I prefer server boards for Intel for NAS use and can't really recommend any Ryzen boards, as I don't have any.

 

 

Edited by johnnie.black
Link to post

Do you have a link to where you found this info?!?

Just now, johnnie.black said:

according to Gigabyte: "Support for ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)"

 

Because I found the following on the specs page for this mobo,

Quote

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-5-rev-10#sp

Support for ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory modules
* ECC function is limited if using an AMD Athlon™ 200-series APU.

Support for non-ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8/1Rx16 memory modules

And the supported memory list https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-5-rev-10#support-doc has a couple of verified ECC modules.

Additionally I am not 100% certain that of the DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 nomenclature, and how to be certain the modules I am looking at qualify.

 

6 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

that's why I prefer server boards for Intel for NAS use and can't really recommend any Ryzen boards, as I don't have any.

I understand, I have always used consumer grade or workstation parts for my NAS system, alternating between Intel and AMD based on what is the best in my price range at the time. If I can manage to untangle the ECC mess the Ryzen platform best fits my needs/price point at this time.

 

Link to post
16 minutes ago, primeval_god said:

Do you have a link to where you found this info?!?

My bad, I copy pasted GA-AX370-GAMING, omitted the 5, so it took me to a different model, in that case the GA-AX370-GAMING 5 should correctly use ECC.

Link to post

@johnnie.black Good to here, and just to confirm by your reading this mobo should support the selected RAM (i.e. conforms to the DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory module requirement)? Again thanks a lot for taking the time to look this over for me. Despite the research i have done on these parts I am always more comfortable with a second set of eyes on it.

Link to post
11 minutes ago, primeval_god said:

by your reading this mobo should support the selected RAM (i.e. conforms to the DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory module requirement)?

Yes, it's a standard dual ranked (2Rx8) ECC dimm.

Link to post
  • 2 months later...

Did you ever complete this build?  I am planning an upgrade to my server, which is primarily a media server, no VM's unless it is sporadic because a piece of software only works with one.  I was looking at the 2700x vs the 8700k.  My primary concern is transcoding support.  I would like to use ECC ram as well.  Are there any server mobo's that support the 2700x you are aware of?

 

Link to post

I am just finishing up the build right now, planning to boot it up in the morning. I didnt really look for server motherboards, but I would suspect the answer is no since the 2700 isnt really a server processor (EPYC) or even the enthusiast grade (thread ripper). Based on my research the motherboard I chose does support ECC RAM, and linux does report that the RAM has multibit error correction available. 

 

One warning though if you go with a board like mine, that needs a bios update to support the 2700, be prepared for a headache. Even though i was assured multiple times by the retailer that the bios would and was updated for my processor, it was not.

Link to post
  • 1 year later...
On 12/14/2018 at 10:03 PM, primeval_god said:

I am just finishing up the build right now, planning to boot it up in the morning. I didnt really look for server motherboards, but I would suspect the answer is no since the 2700 isnt really a server processor (EPYC) or even the enthusiast grade (thread ripper). Based on my research the motherboard I chose does support ECC RAM, and linux does report that the RAM has multibit error correction available. 

 

One warning though if you go with a board like mine, that needs a bios update to support the 2700, be prepared for a headache. Even though i was assured multiple times by the retailer that the bios would and was updated for my processor, it was not.

How has this build been working for you?  I take it the Gigabyte GA-AX370-GAMING 5 does successfully use the RAM in ECC mode with the 2700X?

Link to post

It has been working great! It has been running rock solid for over a year now. Linux reports the the ECC is enabled and functioning, and i have taken it at its word. Note I have the 2700 not the 2700X though from a hardware support standpoint there is no difference. My only complaint with this setup is that the particular model of Crucial ECC RAM that I originally bought is now basically impossible to find, and the few time I have seen it in stock somewhere the price was outrageous. I am not in desperate need for additional RAM so i have not gone back and looked for other supported modules. But back in 2018 the list of ECC RAM that was officially supported (per the documentation) was fairly short. I dont know that non-listed modules wouldnt have worked, I just selected one out off the list out of an abundance of caution. 

Link to post
  • 1 month later...

I'd be interested to know what type of RAM you're using.

I went on a similar journey last year and built the system in my Sig:
- ASUS TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (Wi-Fi)
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600
- Crucial CT16G4WFD8266 (16GB ECC) x2

 

Mine has been working great so far, did my research before purchasing and everything works in Multi-bit ECC mode.

Only thing I might have redone is maybe gotten a CPU with more cores, as now I'm considering upgrading to a 3900x. 🤔

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.