Samsung SSD HBA TRIM

therapist

On 10/29/2018 at 1:14 PM, limetech said:

There are no longer any 6.6.0-rc's since 6.6 has been released as 'stable'.

re: util-linux - we avoid large package updates in stable point releases, unless required for security patch, or other crucial bug fix.  The next update of that package will be in 6.7.

re: mpt3sas: generally anything other than 'bug fixes' are not backported from linux RC's.  We are also updating to 4.19 kernel in Unraid 6.7.  Not sure if the mptsas driver is updated there or not.

There seems to be a lot of SCSI changes in 4.19.  Based on looking at the latest discussion in the Linux SCSI development, I believe there are several significant mpt3sas changes made:

mpt3sas: Added new #define variable IOC_OPERATIONAL_WAIT_COUNT

mpt3sas: Separate out mpt3sas_wait_for_ioc

mpt3sas: Refactor mpt3sas_wait_for_ioc function

mpt3sas: Call sas_remove_host before removing the target devices

mpt3sas: Fix Sync cache command failure during driver unload

mpt3sas: Don't modify EEDPTagMode field setting on SAS3.5 HBA devices

mpt3sas: Fix driver modifying persistent data in Manufacturing page11

mpt3sas: Bump driver version to 27.100.00.00.

> - Fix removed q->mq_ops non-NULL check in wbt_enable_default()

> - Remove spurious return in ide-io.c:ide_timer_expiry()

> - Dropped DM legacy path removal patch, now in mainline

> - Dropped ib_srp patch, now in mainline

> - Fixed a missing port unlock in IDE

> - Add SCSI ufs to the BSG conversions

> - Add patch to remove bsg-lib queue hook dependencies

> - Fixed missing clear of IO contexts

> - Added blk-mq backend for blk_lld_busy()

PLUS, it sounds like there are some signification performance improvements (https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-scsi/msg125041.html) in 4.19 that trigger some happy dancing...

Concluding, I guess the last point that one could make is there are several utilities updated in the "rolling release" world that make be applicable to assisting in resolving the HBA situation.  I wait in great anticipation for Unraid 6.7.  It may be the "Honey Hole" (love me some of my hometown heroes, American Pickers) of an update that we all are looking for.  Thank you @limetech for your insight and update.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, debit lagos said:

@slimshizn I've been patiently trying not to post anything ETA-like verbiage on here.  But I'm pretty sure a good Unraid system re-baseline, with the newly released 4.20 linux kernel, should provide the improvements/fixes we'd expect (fingers crossed). 

What if anything have you seen in the changelogs that would lead you to believe the TRIM issue on HBAs is corrected in 4.20?

Seeing that 6.7 may only have 4.19 it looks like we're still off there

Just now, therapist said:

What if anything have you seen in the changelogs that would lead you to believe the TRIM issue on HBAs is corrected in 4.20?

Seeing that 6.7 may only have 4.19 it looks like we're still off there

The last time I checked, most of the SCSI changes were implemented in 4.19.  I haven't done a full 4.19 vs 4.20 breakdown in the SCSI and FS areas/modules to see what additional changes were implemented.  

If 6.7 drops with 4.19, we "should" be good.  If 6.7 comes with a Slackware re-baseline, even better, as there are several updated packages that would compliment the improvements.

The other aspect I have been becoming familiar with is UNMAP.  Similar to FSTRIM, it provides instructions to the PCI bus to perform certain actions.  Again, learning as time permits.

Nevertheless, it seems the SCSI community acknowledged the collapse of several modules and programming language/library optimization has effected several functionalities in the HBA world.  I'm really hoping it all comes to bed at 4.19 or 4.20.  

Again, fingers crossed.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2018 at 11:45 PM, johnnie.black said:

There are reports that the issue remains even with the newer SAS3 models, like the 9300i, 9305, etc.

I can now confirm trim works with SAS3 models and current Unraid, at least it does on a 9300-8i, but like with all LSI HBAs it only works on SSDs with RZAT or DRAT, e.g.:

OK

hdparm -I /dev/sdc | grep TRIM
           *    Data Set Management TRIM supported (limit 8 blocks)
           *    Deterministic read ZEROs after TRIM

Not OK

hdparm -I /dev/sdb | grep TRIM

• Like 2
On 1/17/2019 at 8:39 AM, johnnie.black said:

I can now confirm trim works with SAS3 models and current Unraid, at least it does on a 9300-8i, but like with all LSI HBAs it only works on SSDs with RZAT or DRAT, e.g.:

OK

*    Deterministic read ZEROs after TRIM

Not OK

Sir, greatly appreciate the update.  I would suspect you are testing the non-released beta version?  Would you be able to confirm what version/increment of kernel you are now on?

Again @johnnie.black, thank you very much for the update.

• Upvote 1
On 1/17/2019 at 8:39 AM, johnnie.black said:

Is this through a backplane or direct with HBA?

I am extremely curious as to why the LSI devs would no longer support SAS2 TRIM funtionality

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JoeUnraidUser said:

Mostly I was pissed off that they recommended hardware that they knew didn't work.

Who's "they"?

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

It's not an Unraid problem, it's the Linux LSI driver, current status is the same as my post above on January 17th.

What is the root problem?  Does the controller not transparently pass through the attached device?

4 hours ago, JoeUnraidUser said:

Is there any progress with this problem?  I had 2 Marvell SATA Controllers which were not compatible with 6.7.0.  About 2 weeks ago I replaced them with 2 LSI SAS 9211-8i HBAs.  You may ask why I would specifically buy those cards.  Because in the Wiki on the Hardware Compatibility page under PCI SATA Controllers it recommends the LSI SAS 9211-8i.  I hope this TRIM problem is fixed in 6.7.0 especially since this hardware is recommended as compatible in the Wiki.

edit:  Toned down the language.

I don't think the 9211 cards were compatible with SSD TRIM at all....the 9207 was typically sought out as the card for SSD operation.  It has more to do with LSI/Broadcom implementations than unraid.  Just because @limetech has a "compatibility matrix" it doesn't mean that every combination of hardware is guaranteed to work.  The end user has to do their due diligence.

In my first post, I thought I was being pretty thorough...even buying additional hardware to try and make it work.  Seems somewhere along the line the mpt2SAS driver has dropped TRIM support for the most commonly used drives?  I am in the process of moving most of my drives to a direct attach backplane & will be experimenting more when done.

What is the root problem?  Does the controller not transparently pass through the attached device? 

Up to Unraid 6.3.5, mpt3sas driver 13.100.00.00, TRIM works on LSI SAS2 and SAS3 HBAs, starting with Unraid 6.4.1, mpt3sas driver 15.100.00.00, TRIM stopped working on SAS2 HBAs, like the 9211-8i, 9207-8i, etc, but still works on SAS3 HBAs like the 9300-8i.     

But note that for all cases, TRIM with LSI HBAs only works on SSDs with deterministic read zeros after TRIM, for SSDs with no deterministic read after TRIM you get the standard TRIM unsupported error when running fstrim: 

the discard operation is not supported

When running fstrim with a SAS2 LSI HBA on an SSD with deterministic read trim support and latest drivers you get a different more cryptic error:

FITRIM ioctl failed: Remote I/O error

One more thing, since this thread is also about Samsung SSDs, all Samsung consumer SSD models prior to the 860 EVO don't support deterministic reads after TRIM, so if for example you have an 850 EVO it will never be trimmed by an LSI HBA.

I believe the PRO models are different, and most support it, you can easily check with hdparm:

OK for LSI HBA:

* Data Set Management TRIM supported (limit 8 blocks)
	* Deterministic read ZEROs after TRIM

Not OK for LSI HBA:

8 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

One more thing, since this thread is also about Samsung SSDs, all Samsung consumer SSD models prior to the 860 EVO don't support deterministic reads after TRIM, so if for example you have an 850 EVO it will never be trimmed by an LSI HBA.

I believe the PRO models are different, and most support it, you can easily check with hdparm:

OK for LSI HBA:

* Deterministic read ZEROs after TRIM

Not OK for LSI HBA:

Ok that's good info, but here's what I was wondering: when you attach devices to this controller, are you talking about a situation where the controller is organizing those devices into some kind of RAID and then passing the "volume" to Linux? OR, is it operating in "jbod" mode where devices are simply passed through?  If the latter, it should not matter what flavor of TRIM the device supports.  If the former, then sure a RAID controller operating in raid-5/6 is going to want either RZAT or DRAT - this is the reason we don't support TRIM in the Unraid parity-protected array yet (because I haven't added the necessary code in the driver to support RZAT or DRAT and detect which is present).

15 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

No, LSI trim only works for HBAs in IT mode, no RAID, but still requires determinist read after TRIM, don't know why.

I don't think this is necessarily the case as the LSI/Broadcom compatibility matrix lists (for sake of the topic) Samsung EVO drives as compatible with 9207 chipsets.  As evidenced by my earlier tests, even an 840 PRO with DRAT is not working properly in later builds & I would imagine that there are plenty of users using earlier builds that had functioning TRIM with their EVO SSDs on HBAs.

EDIT:
https://docs.broadcom.com/docs-and-downloads/host-bus-adapters/IT_SAS_Gen_2.5CompatibilityList.pdf

Edited by therapist
22 minutes ago, limetech said:

...OR, is it operating in "jbod" mode where devices are simply passed through?  If the latter, it should not matter what flavor of TRIM the device supports.

I was under the impression that HBAs in IT mode worked exactly like this, but somewhere along the line the mpt2SAS has reduced compatibility.  There is a whole plugin dedicated to TRIM automation, I wonder how many users are out there & just don't realize it isn't working anymore.

Not that it is the end of the world, but simply relying on internal GC for an SSD is not the best course.

Also check this:

https://www.broadcom.com/support/knowledgebase/1211161496937/trim-and-sgunmap-support-for-lsi-hbas-and-raid-controllers

Information

LSI 3ware and MegaRAID controllers set up in RAID do not support TRIM.

LSI SAS HBAs with IR firmware do not support TRIM.
LSI SAS HBAs with IT firmware do support TRIM, but with these limitations:

The drives must support both “Data Set Management TRIM supported (limit 8 blocks)” and “Deterministic read ZEROs after TRIM” in their ATA options. 
The Samsung 850 PROs don’t have “Deterministic read ZEROs after TRIM” support, and thus TRIM cannot be run on these drives when attached to a LSI SAS HBAs with IT firmware

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, therapist said:

Next question is, can sg_unmap be used in place for TRIM on HBAs?

I did try it, and IIRC it worked even on SAS2 HBAs, but I didn't see a way to use it like fstrim. i.e., you need to specify which blocks you're unmapping, I used it on the whole device, and it resulted in all sectors wiped, same as if using blkdiscard.

Edited by johnnie.black