therapist

Samsung SSD HBA TRIM

37 posts in this topic Last Reply

Would love to get to the bottom of this - the fact is worked perfect before... I don't like the thought of my 3x1TB drives going TRIMless... Hope this can be solved.

Edited by markswift

On 10/29/2018 at 1:14 PM, limetech said:

There are no longer any 6.6.0-rc's since 6.6 has been released as 'stable'.

re: util-linux - we avoid large package updates in stable point releases, unless required for security patch, or other crucial bug fix.  The next update of that package will be in 6.7.

re: mpt3sas: generally anything other than 'bug fixes' are not backported from linux RC's.  We are also updating to 4.19 kernel in Unraid 6.7.  Not sure if the mptsas driver is updated there or not.

There seems to be a lot of SCSI changes in 4.19.  Based on looking at the latest discussion in the Linux SCSI development, I believe there are several significant mpt3sas changes made:

mpt3sas: Added new #define variable IOC_OPERATIONAL_WAIT_COUNT

mpt3sas: Separate out mpt3sas_wait_for_ioc

mpt3sas: Refactor mpt3sas_wait_for_ioc function

mpt3sas: Call sas_remove_host before removing the target devices

mpt3sas: Fix Sync cache command failure during driver unload

mpt3sas: Don't modify EEDPTagMode field setting on SAS3.5 HBA devices

mpt3sas: Fix driver modifying persistent data in Manufacturing page11

mpt3sas: Bump driver version to 27.100.00.00.

> - Fix removed q->mq_ops non-NULL check in wbt_enable_default()

> - Remove spurious return in ide-io.c:ide_timer_expiry()

> - Dropped DM legacy path removal patch, now in mainline

> - Dropped ib_srp patch, now in mainline

> - Fixed a missing port unlock in IDE

> - Add SCSI ufs to the BSG conversions

> - Add patch to remove bsg-lib queue hook dependencies

> - Fixed missing clear of IO contexts

> - Added blk-mq backend for blk_lld_busy()

PLUS, it sounds like there are some signification performance improvements (https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-scsi/msg125041.html) in 4.19 that trigger some happy dancing...

Concluding, I guess the last point that one could make is there are several utilities updated in the "rolling release" world that make be applicable to assisting in resolving the HBA situation.  I wait in great anticipation for Unraid 6.7.  It may be the "Honey Hole" (love me some of my hometown heroes, American Pickers) of an update that we all are looking for.  Thank you @limetech for your insight and update.

• Upvote 1

Also awaiting 6.7 and hoping that it's enabled or fixed. Watching this topic to see further changes.

@slimshizn I've been patiently trying not to post anything ETA-like verbiage on here.  But I'm pretty sure a good Unraid system re-baseline, with the newly released 4.20 linux kernel, should provide the improvements/fixes we'd expect (fingers crossed).

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, debit lagos said:

@slimshizn I've been patiently trying not to post anything ETA-like verbiage on here.  But I'm pretty sure a good Unraid system re-baseline, with the newly released 4.20 linux kernel, should provide the improvements/fixes we'd expect (fingers crossed). 

What if anything have you seen in the changelogs that would lead you to believe the TRIM issue on HBAs is corrected in 4.20?

Seeing that 6.7 may only have 4.19 it looks like we're still off there

Just now, therapist said:

What if anything have you seen in the changelogs that would lead you to believe the TRIM issue on HBAs is corrected in 4.20?

Seeing that 6.7 may only have 4.19 it looks like we're still off there

The last time I checked, most of the SCSI changes were implemented in 4.19.  I haven't done a full 4.19 vs 4.20 breakdown in the SCSI and FS areas/modules to see what additional changes were implemented.  

If 6.7 drops with 4.19, we "should" be good.  If 6.7 comes with a Slackware re-baseline, even better, as there are several updated packages that would compliment the improvements.

The other aspect I have been becoming familiar with is UNMAP.  Similar to FSTRIM, it provides instructions to the PCI bus to perform certain actions.  Again, learning as time permits.

Nevertheless, it seems the SCSI community acknowledged the collapse of several modules and programming language/library optimization has effected several functionalities in the HBA world.  I'm really hoping it all comes to bed at 4.19 or 4.20.  

Again, fingers crossed.

• Upvote 2

On 10/13/2018 at 11:45 PM, johnnie.black said:

There are reports that the issue remains even with the newer SAS3 models, like the 9300i, 9305, etc.

I can now confirm trim works with SAS3 models and current Unraid, at least it does on a 9300-8i, but like with all LSI HBAs it only works on SSDs with RZAT or DRAT, e.g.:

OK

hdparm -I /dev/sdc | grep TRIM
           *    Data Set Management TRIM supported (limit 8 blocks)
           *    Deterministic read ZEROs after TRIM

Not OK

hdparm -I /dev/sdb | grep TRIM

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 8:39 AM, johnnie.black said:

I can now confirm trim works with SAS3 models and current Unraid, at least it does on a 9300-8i, but like with all LSI HBAs it only works on SSDs with RZAT or DRAT, e.g.:

OK

hdparm -I /dev/sdc | grep TRIM
           *    Deterministic read ZEROs after TRIM

Not OK

hdparm -I /dev/sdb | grep TRIM

Sir, greatly appreciate the update.  I would suspect you are testing the non-released beta version?  Would you be able to confirm what version/increment of kernel you are now on?

Again @johnnie.black, thank you very much for the update.

• Upvote 1

Oh wow well this is a bit of a game changer. I'll be able to add more ssds for raid10 and UD.

Edit: never mind, I have the LSI SAS2008-8I SATA 9211-8i. Eh well, maybe later on something will change.

Edited by slimshizn

2 hours ago, debit lagos said:

Sir, greatly appreciate the update.  I would suspect you are testing the non-released beta version?  Would you be able to confirm what version/increment of kernel you are now on?

No, this was tested with v6.6.6

On 1/17/2019 at 8:39 AM, johnnie.black said:

Is this through a backplane or direct with HBA?

I am extremely curious as to why the LSI devs would no longer support SAS2 TRIM funtionality