New Ryzen Build for the Home Consumer

DivideByZero

DISCLAIMER: I am a hobbyist, who rarely if ever comments, please keep the flame to a minimum.  There is always something to criticize. :) 

I built my first UnRAID server around 2010  (UnRAID v4.x) and it has been happily chugging along operating as a basic NAS.  Then, it became my PLEX server. And as Dockers and VMs have matured on the platform, my adoption followed along. Then came array encryption..."The straw the broke the camel's back." Needless to say, my little server (based on an ATOM D510 Processor) was at end-of-life...it was time to build a new server; more specifically one that would be cost effective. 

I saw lots of post and great advice for building truly robust platforms, but not necessarily targeted at my amateur-enthusiast requirements/budget.  I took what I could fromt he forums and developed my own specification.  Afterward, I decided to post my build for anyone who is looking for a parts list that is compatible with UnRAID (v6.6.1 as of today).  It use XFS/Encryption for the array, runs about 2-4 dockers, and maintains disk integrity with the BLAKE2 hash.  All without ever going over 35 degrees Celcius...I have been very impressed (not that it takes much to impress me ;).  With that said, listed below are all the parts in the new server build.  

Primary Components

(1) Fractal Design Node 804 Black Window Aluminum/Steel MATX  Cube Computer Case

(1) AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Processor with Wraith Spire LED Cooler (YD1700BBAEBOX)  (Stoked...I got it for $150....hehehehe)

(1) ASUS PRIME B450M-A/CSM Motherboard (PRIME B450M-A)  (Super odd BIOS...you can find things with the search function that aren't in the menus)

(1) CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (CMK16GX4M2A2666C16W)

(1) MSI GeForce 210 DirectX 10.1 N210-MD1G/D3 1GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 (N210-MD1G/D3)  (1000 Series Ryzen processors do not support video)

(1) EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 220-G3-0650-Y1, 80+ GOLD (220-G3-0650-Y1)  (Small form factor)

(1) SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (MZ-75E250B/AM) - Cache

(1) WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD40EFRX - Parity (4GB for furture array expansion)

(5) WD Red 3TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD30EFRX - Array (Leftovers from UnRAID Server v1.0)

Ancillary Components

(7) 18" SATA Cables

(1) Lexar 8GB FireFly JumpDrive

(1) StarTech PCI Express eSATA/SATA 6Gbps Controller (PEXESAT3221)  (Slight drop-off in performance at higher capacities according to DiskSpeed Docker.  Still over 100MB/s to 2TB)

(1) StarTech 2 Port USB Motherboard Header Adapter - USB Adapter (USBMBADAPT2)  (Internalize JumpDrive....can't have it just sticking out)

(1) Fractal Design Silent Series R2 120mm Silence Optimized Hydraulic Bearing Black/White Computer Case Fan (Added one fan to case for drive array)

(1) DeepCool Fan Hub - CPU Cooler / Case / Chasis Cooling Fan Power Cable Splitter 1 to 4 Adapter - PWM Supported (Not enough fan headers on MB and wanted PWM for all fans)

That's about it.  I hope that someone finds this information useful.

Edited by DivideByZero
Accuracy
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...