General Windows VM issues (SOLVED)

Hi, guys and gals,

Been convinced to switch to Unraid by a friend.  I am not hugely technical but can follow instructions. 

Built a new system with MSI x470 Carbon Pro motherboard, 16 gigs of RAM, Ryzen 5 2600 CPU,  Radeon RX580 OC 8 GPU.

I have 4 drives in the box with 11 TB of storage. 

I have been having issues with getting a windows 10 vm going stable.

image.png.cd973f1f35ec874437e1280b48dc1c25.png

image.png.26278f423cbe3ac48426a36f390c933c.png

image.png.2f9f83fc764b6f3ba2f88943b1c5ad00.pngimage.png.988a9a2ff96725655b6e6f8216625a2d.png

I originally thought that I was having an issue with the GPU, but the more I look at the IOMMU list, it appears to be sata controller and USB????

image.png.3b352d3ccb3bb8a2dcf9e59c3cdba12b.png

Suggestions would be appreciated... thanks in advance..

image.png

image.png

IOMMU.txt

image.png

Edited by ZosoPage1963
added error message

Hi,

There's a few things I'd suggest.

To check what might be causing this on the command line try:

lspci

This command should show you all the addresses in use for the pci bus - it'll probably reference the 'problem' one as 00:07.0 or similar.

To initially get this running, I'd probably turn off the two usb devices for now, get everything installed, working and stable, then turn them back on one at a time if necessary. It might even be as simple as moving one of those devices to a different usb port on your machine.

Eventually you're going to want that primary vdisk to show as using the virtio setting but that's just a matter of how you install the drivers in Windows (you'll typically have to do it before it even sees the disks - but that's a story for a Windows 10 install post.)

I think some people will point you towards using an UEFI bios setting - I probably would too except I run my Win10 guests using settings similar to yours and being inclined to laziness have never bothered to switch them. They run perfectly well for my use cases.

Another thing is the network setting, depending on how you've set things up virtbr0 might not be the network you need - if it seems like you're only getting an internal/server address without external access - try switching that to br0 if possible. There's many things to consider.

I shall try to think of any other gotchas that might help you and am happy to assist when I can.

Del

thank you for the quick reply.  I am putting your suggestions into play right now....   I will try the UEFI in a bit, if these suggestions dont work

I do get it working when I do a new install.  It works great for a while, then the vm locks up completely at some point, I have to reboot the VM and I am back to where I started.  Usually after getting everything the way I like it... sigh.

I should point out I am running 6.6.0 RC4. (now 6.6.1 stable).. cuz I heard that the new builds support ryzen in some way.

Edited by ZosoPage1963
running 6.6.1 now
8 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You should update to a stable release.    6.6.0 has gone stable since the rc4 release, and now the 6.6.1 stable release is also available.

EDIT : FOUND IT... duh... thanks

interesting, this is what I get...   seems it is only 12 days old.  Being a noob to this, am I looking at it wrong?

Version 6.6.0-rc4 2018-09-16

Linux kernel:

version 4.18.8

Management:

webgui: System devices: fixed display of ACS override warning message

webgui: Correction in custom parity schedule

webgui: VM edit corrections

create image when new vdisk is added

keep sound card selection included

fix add/remove of network interfaces

webgui: CPU pinning: preserve "emulatorpin" entry

Edited by ZosoPage1963
correction
8 minutes ago, ZosoPage1963 said:

seems it is only 12 days old.

No you're not wrong You're correct, the general consensus is that Stable releases are greater-than lower version RC's - there's always the option to revert back to your previous version of Unraid. 

Edited by Jcloud
  • Like 1

If you go to the tools, and the Update OS button (i'm not at the server right now so could be slightly wrong.) Make sure the button reads Stable - then check for update. You really should be seeing the newer version.

Another thing regarding the instability - I had this initially too - specifically that at idle my Win10 vm's would use 50-70% cpu on the host which under load caused some freezing. I found some information on these forums which might be helpful and has helped some others:

Some people reported the hpet item was what fixed some of the instability for them.

Del

• Like 1

I don't see in my bios where to do UEFI, but  the boot order of the devices show UEFI.  Since I don't exactly understand what it is, I will read up on it before doing anything like that.  I did do a complete new vm and have taken the suggestions from above.  I have updated the GPU driver, but that is it for now.  I have also disabled the corsair usb (that is for my cpu cooler i think) and moved the usb for the logitech as I sorta need a keyboard/mouse. 

Thank you all for the help!  I thought I was going to be flamed a bit for not doing something correct, but y'all are very kind...

• ZosoPage1963 changed the title to General Windows VM issues (SOLVED)