Extended SMART test passes but drive is still marked as faulty.

Hey everyone,

I have a drive that recently started acting up. Temp warning were appearing up to I think it was 123 C even though its sitting in a 4u server with proper cooling. Even ambient temp in the room was 19C. 

Anyway now its been marked as faulty but running the extended SMART test came back fine. 

Can I please get some assistance figuring out what is going on?

Please and thank you in advance!

tower-diagnostics-20180929-0044.zip

tower-smart-20180927-0304.zip

tower-smart-20180928-1555.zip

24 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

There's a recent UNC at LBA error, so it was a disk problem, but it's OK now since it passed the extended test, I would probably give it a second chance but any more similar issues and replace it.

Hey johnnie.black,

Thank you for your reply. I honestly appreciate it. Quick question if you dont mind.

How do I get my array back up and running currently its appearing as faulty and the drives contents are being emulated. I took a look at the settings of the drive itself and I dont see anything that sticks out.

Ive attached a small screenshot of what the error is.

unraid error.PNG

Edited by PsyCl0ne
21 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

You need to either rebuild to a new drive or to the old one, to rebuild to the old one:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Troubleshooting#Re-enable_the_drive

19 hours ago, UhClem said:

I think I'd rebuild to a NEW one. This one has 2000+ ReAllocated sectors.

--UhClem

Thank you very much for your help! I tried rebuilding to the same drive and noticed that the reallocated sectors grew to 2136. I have stopped the rebuild and have replaced the drive. Just need to preclear and then I should be able to start the rebuild. 

I just wanted to thank you both once again! Please take care and see you around!!

9 hours ago, PsyCl0ne said:

Just need to preclear and then I should be able to start the rebuild. 

In this instance I would not preclear. The time it takes would be better spent getting the array healthy again. Do the rebuild, then do a non-correcting parity check, then examine the smart status of the new drive. Those actions will approximate the work a preclear will do, all while getting your array healthy again much quicker.