SMB/Samba painfully slow network speeds on Ubuntu

Gobs

I recently built my unRAID server with the purpose of storing all my media on it (most importantly my music - I have about 30,000 songs). My plan was to then mount my user share at startup and then have applications like Rhythmbox and Bitwig Studio (music production software) access my music through the network.

Unfortunately doing anything with files in this network drive is impossible. I assumed that since it was on my network and not on the internet everything would be pretty quick but no. Bitwig Studio took 1 hour to index all my sample packs (read music), a process which is usually essentially instantaneous. Opening up my music library folder takes a good minute and usually freezes nautilus in the process. Opening it up in the terminal and trying `ls' takes at least 5 minutes (I gave up after that). I use Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 on my Lenovo and HP laptops respectively.

My questions then are:

1. What tool(s) can I use to test my LAN connection speed (to check if that's the issue)? I tested my internet connection and I get 15 Mbps upload, 3 Mbps download.
  2. Does this have anything to do with DFS? This thread suggested a fix (which I tried, possibly didn't do properly) for Linux but it's from 10 years ago
  3. Should I try NFS instead of Samba? Am somewhat reluctant since I'm not familiar with NFS.
  4. Any suggestions for why this should be, any fixes? Also let me know if you need more information to help me.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I didn't notice anything obvious in Diagnostics.

Dynamix Cache Directories is a plugin you can install from Apps (Community Applications). It attempts to keep the directories in RAM so the disks don't have to be read to list the files.

Some of the delay you experience is probably due spun down disks.

For future reference, on Ubuntu 18.04 when going to Other Locations you get presented with the options below. Sometimes I've noticed there's no distinction between Remote Login (sftp) and File Sharing (smb), but you want to use sftp which is significantly faster. I also installed Dynamix Cache Directories and span up the hard drives, but that didn't have as much of an effect.

Thank you for the help!

mediaserver-diagnostics-20181001-1738.zip

Other Locations_005.png