6.6 Unraid Server Unusable

tehshaz

My Unraid server froze the other day and I had to force a reboot.  After the reboot I was unable to access the WebGUI or ping the server.  Connecting to the server directly I was able to get to the login but a emhttp segmentation fault error popped immediately.  If I log in nothing has been mounted (the /mnt/ directory is completely empty) Starting in Safe Mode showed the same results.  I have been troubleshooting for a couple of days and I am at a dead end.  Here is what I have tried and the results of it:

• Repair Flash Drive - No change
  • Revert back using the files in the Previous folder - No Change
  • Placed Flash Drive in multiple other USB ports - No Change
  • Downloaded fresh 6.6.1 and copied root and image files - No Change
  • Downloaded fresh 6.6.0 and copied root and image files - No Change
  • Downloaded fresh 6.5.3 and copied root and image files - No Change
  • Reformatted Flash Drive and tried both old files and fresh download - No Change
  • Did all the above on a brand new flash drive.
  • Completely removed all files from the flash drive and copied a complete new install - This is where it gets interesting.  When I booted with this change the boot would hang around the line of "Found New BMC" or the ipmi device lines.
  • Did a new install of 6.5.3 as well - Same freeze point
  • Did a complete new install of 6.6.1 and copied my config folder over - Same freeze point.
  • Did a complete new install of 6.6.1 and copied my config and the root and image files - Same freeze point
  • I then went through each file in the parent directory and copied them over one at a time from my original install.  - Most had no change except for bzmodules.  I was able to get to the login again but had the same orignal issues.  No mounts and emhttp fault pop.  I switched back and forth between a new modules file but could not get a consistant result.  Not sure if this was just a fluke?

I am at a complete lost and I hope that my ramblings made sense to someone.  Anyone have any ideas as to where I can go next?  I have also attached a diag from one of the times I was able to boot all the way to login.  Thanks for everyone's time and thoughts!

tower-diagnostics-20180930-1822.zip

2 hours ago, tehshaz said:

After doing some more troubleshooting it appears that it all stems back to nothing getting mounted to the /mnt directory.  After boot, the /mnt/user directory does not exist.  Now why that is I have not been able to figure out.

According to your diagnostics, your shares are accessed via NFS.  There is a known bug (discovered after release) in the Linux kernel in 6.6.x where with NFS shares FUSE crashes which makes /mnt/user disappear and then the NFS shares are gone.  It doesn't happen with SMB or AFP access; just NFS.

Limetech has not been able to reproduce the bug, but, think they know the cause in the FUSE code.

There are several posts in these forums describing this.  The only solution is to roll back to 6.5.3 until the kernel bug is resolved.

EDIT: just noticed you mentioned rolling back to 6.5.3 with no change.  I think the /mnt/user and shares disappearing is definitely related to the bug I cited, but, it appears you may also have a hardware issue.

Were you at some point running problem free on 6.5.3? Did the problems start happening on 6.6.x and now continue when rolling back to 6.5.3? When did you first see the reported issues?

12 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Were you at some point running problem free on 6.5.3? Did the problems start happening on 6.6.x and now continue when rolling back to 6.5.3? When did you first see the reported issues?

I was running in 6.5.3 at a point I believe.  I was also running for a short period after the update to 6.6 but had a server crash.  After the reboot from the crash I was unable to boot.  It does sound like there may be multiple issues here but it definitely helps knowing there is a bug with 6.6 and I can concentrate on getting 6.5.3 to work properly.  I will work my way through the troubleshooting process with 6.5.3 and let everyone know an update.

It is definitely two different issues, so thank you so much for that!  Took a little bit of work but I was able to get 6.5.3 booted on a different machine with my configuration loaded.  After that I put the flash drive back in my server and it froze on boot in regular and safe modes.  Went through a couple of different disconnections and when I disconnected my graphics card i was able to boot up and get to the webgui!  So now that I know what it is, I just have to figure out why!

Archived