Using OEM license for windows 10 Pro

I can't get my OEM license to activate.  I have cloned the uuid, and it shows as the same when I do a wmic csproduct get uuid command from the VM.  My understanding is the OEM license is tied to the motherboard which is the same.  The only difference is I'm running it inside a VM.

On the windows activation site the only difference is the original license listed the model of my motherboard, but the new one lists "Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996)".  That shows up when you do a wmic csproduct get name.

Is it only possible to activate retail licenses, or do I need to add more lines to my XML file?

I ran into a similar situation recently.  I converted my physical Windows 10 machine to a VM on unRaid and also could not get it to activate.  I actually phoned Microsoft support and they recommended that I chose "Change Product Key" from the activation dialog and then re-enter the product key from the OEM licence.  In my case that worked.

DM

I have tried that and it didn't work.

My VM install is from an ISO, and the windows license I have is for windows 10 not an upgrade from 7.  I did the install twice.  Once entering the key and once not entering the key.  I've tried transferring the license using a key linked to a Microsoft account, and I have tried entering the product key.  The issue seems to be that windows is looking at more than just the uuid.  Both VMs I created ended up as separate items in my windows account.  If you look at the screen shots of the VM and the original account, the original account shows the motherboard in the second line under the computer name, and the VM shows "Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996)".

accountinfo.png

vm_accountinfo.png

License.png

licenseError.png

Still haven't been able to get it to work with an install from a windows iso in unraid.  I ended up getting an old OCZ drive and doing a windows install on it outside of unraid.  Then I just manually linked the drive to a VM.  I'm not planning to try and convert the drive to a vdisk unless I run into space issues down the road.

• 5 weeks later...

I bought a Windows 10 Pro license, but haven't tried to activate it yet with my VMs.

1. Is there any disadvantage of not activating your key on a Windows VM?
    1. Is there an advantage to activating?
  2. Is there a way to assign the activation key to more than one VM?

I don't use a Windows VM as a daily driver. Only to edit photos and game.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone got any more information on this as I have now tried several different windows 10 licenses and several win2012 and 2016 server ones even on corporate keys and still no luck getting a windows copy to activate ?

This seems to be a pretty major issue if windows VMs arent really an option ?

I have tried to look around and I have seen lots of questions on OEM licensing, on activation and changing keys but none seem to have any real answers and none mentioned work for me.

All the keys I have tried worked fine on Hyper-V so I am thinking this is a much bigger issue being swept over ?

Can anyone point me/us in the right direction ?

Thanks

Ed.

P.S I have purchased an UnRAID Pro license if that helps any ?

Edited by EdFX
Adding that licensed Pro User
17 minutes ago, EdFX said:

Has anyone got any more information on this as I have now tried several different windows 10 licenses and several win2012 and 2016 server ones even on corporate keys and still no luck getting a windows copy to activate ?

I'm running a legitimately activated windows 10 VM, but haven't done a new activation in a long time.  Maybe Microsoft changed something?  We'll look into it.

• Upvote 1