AMD WX 3100 GPU for Unraid GUI, worth it or not ?

Bytales

Due to how my Motherboard is consturcted, i Need to populate the Motherboard 5th Slot with a low end GPU Card. Regardless of bios Settings, the gpu sitted here is what Unraid will use for itself.

So im in the market for a new GPU, that must be single Slot; this will allow me to use the Motherboard 6th pci Slot as well.

Im going to be connecting a 4k TV to this Single Slot Graphic Card, and i have some questions i couldnt find answer for anywhere.

1)If i will boot Unraid Gui, (will then UNRAID use the GPU to Display ist gui?), ive seen the unraid gui basically has a Mozilla browser built in. Would i be able to use the UNRAID GUI in 4k@60 fps, and use all the Features one would expect from a normal browser, like YouTube, Videos, Music? etc, as if i were using a browser in a normal Windows/Linux enviroment ? The GPU supposedly has also a Sound Card built in. And Sound would be transmited through HDMI to TV

2)Would i be able from this Unraid GUI to install Radeon pro Drivers for the Video Card, and use it to mine crypto ? from within the unraid GUI console ? Provided all the mining programs are on the boot Memory stick ? And i would acces them with the console.

If all this would be true, i would then get an AMD WX 3100 Card, which has 4k60fps Support through its DP ports (i would Need a HDMI Adapter), and i could use the unraid gui to browse web, and the Card set to mine Crypto.

If None of this would be possible, i would get a dummy Card. But i would at least want to have proper 4k Support in the gui, for at least browsing in moziila text based Websites, at least....

I want to know because the Card is aprox 150EUR, i dont want to throw 150EUR just for something i wont use, i would be better off spending only 30 only a less speced single Slot Card.

Edited by Bytales

So if i can browse the Internet with Sound in 4k@60fps with the AMD Drivers installed within the unraid GUI, and while not doining it, leave the Card to mine, it would probably be worth it to spend 150 eur. Otherwise not.

So please let me know if such a Scenario is possible.

Edited by Bytales
On 10/1/2018 at 6:21 AM, Bytales said:

1)If i will boot Unraid Gui, (will then UNRAID use the GPU to Display ist gui?), ive seen the unraid gui basically has a Mozilla browser built in. Would i be able to use the UNRAID GUI in 4k@60 fps, and use all the Features one would expect from a normal browser, like YouTube, Videos, Music? etc, as if i were using a browser in a normal Windows/Linux enviroment ?

I cant say for sure, since I have never tried, but I doubt it. More importantly I cant image that you would want to. Since the only real linux user account on unRAID is the root account, you would be browsing the internet as root. That just sounds inadvisable to me.

On 10/1/2018 at 6:21 AM, Bytales said:

2)Would i be able from this Unraid GUI to install Radeon pro Drivers for the Video Card, and use it to mine crypto ? from within the unraid GUI console ? Provided all the mining programs are on the boot Memory stick ? And i would acces them with the console.

unRAID does not have Nvidia or Radeon GPU drivers beyond the most basic required for display. Additionally I very much doubt that you will have any luck finding a crypto mining program compiled to run directly on unRAID unless you compile it yourself. Running applications of that sort directly on unRAID (i.e. not within a VM or container) is not recommended.  

Edited by primeval_god