Thinking about the E-2186G....

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Agree, the 2176G looks like a perfect chip for a NAS … the performance of an 8700K but with ECC memory.   Definitely worth waiting for IMHO.   A small wait may also result in a wider universe of supporting motherboards to choose from -- although for my purposes the SuperMicro board looks just fine.

1 hour ago, Tybio said:

Ok, it shipped and I should have it tomorrow!  Can rebuild the server this weekend and update people on how it goes.

👍

I am eager to hear about your results.  I have considered the same setup for my next upgrade.  I would love it even more if Intel had an 8-core/16 thread desktop/E Series Xeon.

On 11/14/2018 at 12:25 PM, Hoopster said:

👍

I am eager to hear about your results.  I have considered the same setup for my next upgrade.  I would love it even more if Intel had an 8-core/16 thread desktop/E Series Xeon.

I would have loved 8 cores, might have gone with using a VM for my desktop...with 6 cores I'm just not sure I can do that.  Likely I can, but it seems to me that it is borderline.

The snow caused Fedex to delay delivery, so now it is even odds I'll not get it until next week :/.

20 minutes ago, Tybio said:

I think I got shipped an OEM processor.  That, or INTEL is really cutting back on packaging :)

AND it is the WRONG one :(

IMG_0339.png

The Provantage site specifies it is an OEM/tray processor; not the retail/boxed with a CPU fan.  You (almost) got what you ordered, but, it might not have been what you expected.  And yes, you want the 2176G not the 2174G.  Provantage owes you, they screwed up!

image.png.54585e632d207d93c8fa91488d2f7125.png

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000029613/processors.html

Edited by Hoopster
1 minute ago, Hoopster said:

The Provantage site specifies it is an OEM/tray processor; not the retail/boxed with a CPU fan.  You got what you ordered, but, it might not have been what you expected.  And yes, you want the 2176G not the 2174G.  Provantage owes you!

Fair enough, I didn't look that closely...I don't care what box it comes in!

I just got off the phone with them, apparently the 2 "in-stock" 2176G they had are now sold, so it looks like I'll go back on the "parts on order" list and be stuck for another few weeks :(.  I don't want to cancel the order as they /charged/ me 2174 prices (As it stands today) so I would be another $50+ out of pocket to get a 2176G from another vendor.

2 minutes ago, Tybio said:

Fair enough, I didn't look that closely...I don't care what box it comes in!

I just got off the phone with them, apparently the 2 "in-stock" 2176G they had are now sold, so it looks like I'll go back on the "parts on order" list and be stuck for another few weeks :(.  I don't want to cancel the order as they /charged/ me 2174 prices (As it stands today) so I would be another $50+ out of pocket to get a 2176G from another vendor. 

Bummer, Provantage still screwed up and their site currently says the price for the 2176G is $336.75.  If the site is wrong, they owe you one at that price ASAP.  Yeah, that is less than the price they have on the 2174G, but, they have not changed it.

image.png.a1050f463ed1365087f3e2a3542616ab.png

Certainly doesn't speak well for their shipping quality control that they sent the WRONG processor !!

I hope they at least sent you a pre-paid label to return the incorrect processor.

It does sound like you're at least CLOSE to actually getting one of these chips … hopefully you can put it all together while you're having a turkey feast next week 😊

I have been looking for the same setup (The rumor is that there will soon be a 8 core version  Intel’s Xeon E-2188G? ) but I think I have found a problem!

I have bought a 24 bay storage server case: 4u-server-case-w-24x-35-hot-swappable-satasas-drive-bays-6gbs-minisas-550m-deep-sc-4324s

And after getting some great help here from the group on LSI controllers and cables in this post LINK

I now have the following items:
8X (16X) Quadro P2000 card (Game server passthrough or Plex transcoding better than quicksync)
8X - LSI SAS9201-16i PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SAS 6Gb/s HBA Card (Drives)
8X - LSI SAS9201-8i PCI-e Controller / 9211-8i (IT-mode) (Drives)
4X Intel Pro 1000 VT Quad Port NIC - PCI Express (Need more Ethernet throughput or to be replaced with a 10GB ethernet card?)
= 28 Lanes?

None of the C246 chipset boards/CPU would be able to run with the above cards (Right?)

ASUS WS C246 PRO

Gigabyte C246-WU4

Right now it seems my only option is to go with Xeon W? that supports 48 lanes vs the E-Series 16 lanes? (I want ECC)

Or am I missing something....

Edited by casperse

Nope, the E series only has 16 lanes, that's the reality Intel gave the MB manufactures to worth with, not their fault..  If you are doing that, you should really look at the 2700x or even one of the 16 core TRs if you want ECC AND PCIe lanes.  Intel will not let you have both without jumping to the datacenter level prices :/.

Edited by Tybio
4 hours ago, casperse said:

None of the C246 chipset boards/CPU would be able to run with the above cards (Right?)

ASUS WS C246 PRO

Gigabyte C246-WU4

Right now it seems my only option is to go with Xeon W? that supports 48 lanes vs the E-Series 16 lanes? (I want ECC)

Or am I missing something....

One note, you could use the 8 SATA ports on the MB rather than the second LSI card, that would let you fit 2x8 and 1x4.  So you could make it work, it would just have no room for expansion and only one M.2 slot working (#1).  I can confirm all of this when I get mine up and running, but that's waiting on the processor.