Thinking about the E-2186G....

4 hours ago, Tybio said:

One note, you could use the 8 SATA ports on the MB rather than the second LSI card, that would let you fit 2x8 and 1x4.  So you could make it work, it would just have no room for expansion and only one M.2 slot working (#1).  I can confirm all of this when I get mine up and running, but that's waiting on the processor.

Thats not a bad idea! So if I buy the Gigabyte board that have 10 Sata (I also need two sata for internal SSD drives)  and I would end up with a spare 4X slot?

According to the homepage the option is:

8x - Graphic (16x but should run okay at 8x?)

4x - Intel Pro 1000 VT Quad Port NIC - PCI Express 

8x - LSI SAS9201-16i PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SAS 6Gb/s HBA Card (Drives)

4x - Free? expansion if I need more Ethernet throughput and a 10GB ethernet card

BUT then the SATA controller need to be supported by unraid/ESXi (I plan to run ESXi, and then Unraid, and windows or linux machine)

just not sure how to be certain that the onboard controller is supported by "everything" 

gigabyte.jpg

BTW: Which ECC RAM modules are you buying? 

Edited by casperse
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, casperse said:

Thats not a bad idea! So if I buy the Gigabyte board that have 10 Sata (I also need two sata for internal SSD drives)  and I would end up with a spare 4X slot?

Depends on a lot of factors, these boards CAN do more than the processor will let them.  For instance, if I use the U.2 port or the second M.2 slot on the Super Micro board then I lose the x4 slot.  If I use both of them then I lose M.1 and the x4 slot.  I even lose some SATA ports in that setup.

The key is to figure out what you need and then read the manual to see if you can get it all working given the way MBs will turn off some elements if others are used...and each board does it differently.

1 hour ago, casperse said:

BTW: Which ECC RAM modules are you buying? 

As I went with the SM board, I used their recommended ECC Ram, linked on the SM board detail from the first page :).

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, casperse said:

What CPU cooler is that?

Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CPYM6NR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wanted something with a bit of RGB to it, and I liked the way it is self contained so you can do temp based RGB color or solid with a little wired remote...trying to get RGB working in a Linux server with most MB vendors is pointless...it is also about 40x the size of the one I have (you can see it in the background) cooling a 77TDP processor, so I think it's likely overkill...but hey, why not take a risk on the cheapest part of the build!

Just saw this, 8 core variants of the E-21xx series are in the final stages of pre-production.  They will not have the iGPU, which is a big relief to me as I'd hate them to come out a month after I'd waited 6 weeks to get the prior version and find they were even better in my use case...but an 8 core Xeon would be VERY nice for people running gaming VMs rather than transcoding.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13640/intel-has-8core-xeon-e-at-engineering-sample-stage

36 minutes ago, Tybio said:

Just saw this, 8 core variants of the E-21xx series are in the final stages of pre-production

Well, they do appear to support hyperthreading so, 8 cores/16 threads.  The desktop i7 9700K has 8 cores and iGPU, but, no hyperthreading. 

I will start planning my next upgrade as soon as there is a 8-core/16-thread Xeon with ECC support and iGPU.

The E-2176G is close, but, I really want those two additional cores/threads.

40 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Well, they do appear to support hyperthreading so, 8 cores/16 threads.  The desktop i7 9700K has 8 cores and iGPU, but, no hyperthreading. 

I will start planning my next upgrade as soon as there is a 8-core/16-thread Xeon with ECC support and iGPU.

The E-2176G is close, but, I really want those two additional cores/threads.

Makes sense, I'm going to go with the 2176G and see what AMD can put out next year.  Might make sense at that point to go high core 7nm and a Quatro in a VM for transcoding.  That will give Intel a year to come out with something a bit more impressive than the current E series.

11 hours ago, Tybio said:

That will give Intel a year to come out with something a bit more impressive than the current E series.

True … but for my needs the E2176G is plenty "impressive" ==>  PassMark over 14,000 (14409 to be precise);  6 cores; IGP; ECC support; and all that performance in an 80w TDP package.     I plan to build a new system in February … and it'll almost certainly be E2176G based.

14 hours ago, garycase said:

True … but for my needs the E2176G is plenty "impressive" ==>  PassMark over 14,000 (14409 to be precise);  6 cores; IGP; ECC support; and all that performance in an 80w TDP package.     I plan to build a new system in February … and it'll almost certainly be E2176G based.

I'd just like a few more PCI-E lanes...or more cores....or both!

1 hour ago, Tybio said:

I'd just like a few more PCI-E lanes...or more cores....or both!

You can, of course, have all of that -- you just need to step up to the datacenter-class E5's and supporting motherboards 😊

There is, of course, a more-than-modest price differential to do that !!   You can build a very nice E2176G based system for the price of the CPU alone of a high-end Xeon E5.

17 hours ago, garycase said:

You can, of course, have all of that -- you just need to step up to the datacenter-class E5's and supporting motherboards 😊

And that, of course, is the issue for most of us; the cost of stepping up in the Intel world to what Ryzen/Threadripper (minus the iGPU - an important consideration for many) provides in the desktop/consumer space.

I may end of up going with the E-2176G myself at some point if it becomes clear that an entry-level Xeon with 8c/16t and everything else the 2176G offers is not in future Intel plans.  For now, I am happy to wait it out a bit longer and milk all I can out of the E3-1245 v5.

Edited by Hoopster

Ok, told Provantage to refund me and cancel the order, they weren't going to ship until the 21st, which would have been 2 months from when I ordered it.  I went to ebay and found a good quality seller (Not an individual) and they are over-nighting one to me so I'll have it tomorrow.  Hopefully I can rebuild the server this weekend!

Good lord, the vendor on ebay also sent the E-2174G.  I think there is an issue in the supply chain with the part numbers being crossed somewhere....I'm honestly not sure at this point if I'll ever get an E-2176G...Perhaps I'll have to close all orders and pay the CDW tax (as they have their own distribution system).  They still aren't in stock at Amazon or Newegg :/.

Perhaps fate intends for you to settle for 4 cores 😊

… This is definitely frustrating.    The 2174G is a superb processor; but when you want its 6-core big brother, that's what you should get !!     As I'm sure you know, the 2174G actually has better per/core processing power than the 2176G -- but with only 4 cores it has less overall power.

It's really surprising that two different vendors have now shipped the wrong chip.    Is Intel miss-labeling the packaging??

Yea, if I hadn't paid a premium for the 2176G I might have been just fine with the 2174G...it isn't a BAD processor :).

The packaging is properly labled, this is the detail I just got from one of the vendors:

"What appears to have happened is what is referred to as an "ASIN mismatch." During the process of loading our inventory, our product listing was mapped to the wrong product UPC on the Amazon Marketplace. As a result you’ve received the wrong item and we do not carry the listed item you intended to purchase."

Edited by Tybio
30 minutes ago, Tybio said:

Yea, if I hadn't paid a premium for the 2176G I might have been just fine with the 2174G...it isn't a BAD processor :).

Wow!  I am sure glad I decided to wait a while.  The E-2176G looks promising and I had seriously considered it when it was announced, but, it appears that actually getting one delivered may be quite the challenge.

It sucks that you have to deal with all this.

That's 3 times I've ordered an E-2176G, and 3 times a E-2174G has been delivered.  I'm seriously considering just bagging this and buying up to a TR....this is absurd.

On second thought, if I were to ignore the ECC requirement for the moment, does this part of the SM support list for my motherboard mean that any of the i7/i9 1151's from the Coffee Lake years should work?  Like the i9-9900k?

Intel® 8th/9th Generation Core™ i9/Core™ i7/Core™i5/Core™i3/Pentium®/Celeron® series Processor, Intel® Xeon® E processor (Coffee Lake-S) Server, Intel® Xeon® E processor (Coffee Lake-S) Workstation.

Edit: Ok, I found this: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/eurocom-tornado-f7w-laptop-core-i9-9900k,38048.html

So it looks like it is "possible", it would only be a $150 tax to go with the i9, which is far less than building on a TR.  However the i9 is still limited to 16 lanes.

Edited by Tybio
1 hour ago, Tybio said:

That's 3 times I've ordered an E-2176G, and 3 times a E-2174G has been delivered.  I'm seriously considering just bagging this and buying up to a TR....this is absurd.

On second thought, if I were to ignore the ECC requirement for the moment, does this part of the SM support list for my motherboard mean that any of the i7/i9 1151's from the Coffee Lake years should work?  Like the i9-9900k?

Edit: Ok, I found this: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/eurocom-tornado-f7w-laptop-core-i9-9900k,38048.html

So it looks like it is "possible", it would only be a $150 tax to go with the i9, which is far less than building on a TR.  However the i9 is still limited to 16 lanes.

And it also appears that the iGPU in the i5/7/9 9x00 family may not be fully supported by the i915 driver in Linux until the 4.20 kernel.  I can't remember where, but, I recall seeing that in a couple of online articles recently. Tom has stated that the 4.20 is the planned kernel for unRAiD 6.7.0