Update from 6.5.3 to 6.6.1 failed

Hi, I was running unraid from month and never had issues while updating

Yesterday I tried to update from 6.5.3 to 6.6.1 and after the reboot I only had a black screen with random appearances of the login screen and unraid logo but with no possibilities to log in

So I rolled back to 6.5.3 and everything is working again

I don't know what's wrong so if anyone can help me it would be very much appreciated

regards

1 hour ago, salora said:

Hi, I was running unraid from month and never had issues while updating

Yesterday I tried to update from 6.5.3 to 6.6.1 and after the reboot I only had a black screen with random appearances of the login screen and unraid logo but with no possibilities to log in

So I rolled back to 6.5.3 and everything is working again

I don't know what's wrong so if anyone can help me it would be very much appreciated

regards

It appears you have a monitor connected to your server.  Does the unRAID menu appear on boot?

On 10/1/2018 at 10:23 PM, Hoopster said:

It appears you have a monitor connected to your server.  Does the unRAID menu appear on boot?

I can see the boot menu and the boot sequence on the monitor yes

but onnce its done, I have a black screen with a cursor with random and very short appearances of the unraid login screen but with no possibility to log in.

then if I try to go to the unraid main page from a browser there is nothing

regards

Edited by salora
5 hours ago, salora said:

I can see the boot menu and the boot sequence on the monitor yes 

but onnce its done, I have a black screen with a cursor with random and very short appearances of the unraid login screen but with no possibility to log in.

then if I try to go to the unraid main page from a browser there is nothing

That sounds like the boot process may not be completing.

A few others with similar issues have found that updating their motherboard BIOS to the latest available has allowed unRAID to complete the boot process successfully. 

This may not be the cure, but, it should not hurt either.  Limetech is encouraging everyone to update their BIOS as part of the upgrade to 6.6.x

Start there and see if it makes any difference.

If the problem is not resolved by a BIOS update (assuming that is necessary), try installing unRAID on a different flash drive, preferably a USB 2.0 drive 32GB or smaller, to eliminate or confirm the flash drive as the problem.  You don't have to license unRAID on the new drive, just see if it will boot.

Edited by Hoopster

hi

bios is up to date 

a fresh install works with no config

but when i put my config folder I can see the whole boot sequence with a command line that is curious

cat: write error broken pipe

and it does not work 

back to 6.5.3 again :)

Edited by salora
2 hours ago, salora said:

but when i put my config folder I can see the whole boot sequence with a command line that is curious

cat: write error broken pipe

Sounds like something broken in your config. Almost everything in config is a text file except super.dat and some plugins.

Have you tried SAFE MODE?

1 hour ago, salora said:

I guess if the configuration was broken 6.5.3 wouldn't work too but it does

did not try safe mode yet.

it's a paid License not trial can't the devs help figure this out?

best regards

Free support is from the user community. Paid support is available but not included in the license.

If it is an issue with the software and it is properly reported so they can reproduce it then they will of course work to fix it.

good to know, should have stayed in trial forever, it would have been the same

whatever :(

so yes something is wrong, what I don't know except for that broken pipe

even if it is working in safe mode, i can't run it forever in safe mode :(

so i someone can tell me what broken pipe means and where to look it would be appreciated

best regards

Just now, trurl said:

trial only lasts 30 days

If you never stop it , it can last forever

you can't upgrade but it's the same result if i cannot update it because of a bug

Moreover it's not some old rig, but kabylake intel cpu with an updated motherboard with the last microcode

22 hours ago, salora said:

but when i put my config folder

Backup your config folder. Then with a new install, which you say works, just copy the .key file and super.dat from your backup to the config folder of the new install. That should get you going with your license and disk assignments. If not then that would indicate a problem with one of those 2 files. If it does work then we can go from there and see how to get other parts going again.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

Backup your config folder. Then with a new install, which you say works, just copy the .key file and super.dat from your backup to the config folder of the new install. That should get you going with your license and disk assignments. If not then that would indicate a problem with one of those 2 files. If it does work then we can go from there and see how to get other parts going again.

I will try ok

moreover in safe mode it's not working so i would say that the plugins are out of this

45 minutes ago, trurl said:

so it is working like that

What do I do next, do you need to see some files?

the only file I did change was the "go" file for plex hardware encoding so I start with that

I putted this 

"#Setup drivers for hardware transcoding in Plex
modprobe i915
chown -R nobody:users /dev/dri
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri"

Back to the original one its working with gui even if I still have that weird broken pipe error

so now I'll try without the gui

edit : it's working too, still the broken pipe, now it's time change the syslinux conf to enable the passthrough

Edited by salora
  • 4 months later...

I am currently having the same problem but possibly different issues. ( I still need to check some things from this post. thank you for the tips/heads up!) I have a paid pro license. I tried jumping the shark upgrading from 6.5.3 to 6.6.6. My server would not reboot or shutdown after installing the update through the GUI. I kept getting a 504 Gateway error through the on multiple browsers, and multiple computers. When I tried refreshing the page, it would just cough back up to the main page as if I didn't ask it to reboot or shutdown. I tried asking nicely to reboot and shutdown through the GUI, asking in a bit more stern voice through the terminal, and then yelling at it while holding the power button. When I got it to hard reboot, I hooked a monitor to it see what the heck was going on. After going through the BIOS bit all I get is a half a blinking cursor. No boot sequence, no indication that the USB drive was unbootable... nothing. I yanked the USB after shutting down the sever again to see if there were "files." Things seemed to be in order, but I didn't get much time to start pulling log files yet. 

My next thing I'm going to try... 

Make sure m BIOS is up to date.

Copy over my config files from by current USB.

Grab another USB and install 6.6.6 on that in trial mode to see if it boots up

try taking my current USB, copy over 6.6.6 and copy over my config files and see if that boots up. 

If that doesn't work or if I have some cycles in-between I'll try to take a look at the logs.