Docker went orphan, how to prevent

SM411

I have been running Unraid with multiple dockers for about two years. Tonight something wired happened. My Home-Assistant docker disappeared and left behind no warning. This is my most crucial docker as it controls much of my house.

This is the first time this have happened, and it was quite easy to fix, but I would not like this to happen in the future.

I have some suspicions on what could have caused it.

First, it is the first day of october, and that means parity check on my unraid setup at midnight. This slows down my server which could possible lead to other errors.

Secondly, I have recently set up CA Backup / Restore Appdata to backup appdata from my cache driver to the array. The settings is pretty much default and it runs weekly on mondays at 3 am, which also was tonight.

I'm not sure which log or where to find them to explore this further. I checked my Home-assistant sensor logs, and the last entry was just before midnight when the parity check starts.

So I guess a reasonable explanation could be that I should make sure that CA Backup and parity check should not run at the same time, but I'm also looking for tips on other potential errors which could cause orphan images and confirmation that my theory is either correct or wrong.

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, SM411 said:

This happened again this month. Anybody who could look into this?

Orphaned images occur when the "old" container can't be deleted after a upgrade. The usual case is the container is still in use preventing the deletion.

This has no further impact.

Switch to advanced mode on the Docker page and manually delete the orphaned images.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 12/2/2018 at 8:53 AM, bonienl said:

Orphaned images occur when the "old" container can't be deleted after a upgrade. The usual case is the container is still in use preventing the deletion.

This has no further impact.

Switch to advanced mode on the Docker page and manually delete the orphaned images.

Thanks for the insight. I did check the log, and it seems that this time there was an automatic docker update for Home-Assistant running at the same time as parity check started. This would, just like the CA Backup, restart my Home Assistant docker. I changed the schedule of the docker update to avoid overlapping, and hopefully this will avoid orphaned images in the future. Orphaned images is not the main issue though, but the fact that the system which controls my home stops working until I get it set back up again.

• 5 years later...

This definitely happened to me since at least 2018 and happens to me still and continues to span across hardware. In my case it is usually when I set a bad setting, I get an error message and an orphan. Can functionality to be added to revert back or stop as saved? Maybe it needs to cache the settings provided or something but that would be well worth the user experience improvement.