First Ryzen build and new to UnRaid

Hi,

After finding out about UnRaid, I have had thoughts about merging my gaming pc and my server into one machine using unraid and a W10 Gaming VM.

My current server is an Dell vostro 220 desktop, running Debian stable with These HDD's

1x HGST 4TB

1x WD RED 6TB

1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

1x 320GB noname 2.5" HDD with OS on it.

Mainly use it for Autodl-Irrsi, rTorrent and Plex.

My current desktop is an Intel G4560 with and Radeon HD7870 and a Samsung 970 EVO 250Gb(Thinking of using it as a cache disk)

I'm looking to migrate all these disks into my new UnRaid build, together with

2x Seagate IronWolf 8TB to begin with, and expand later (together with a SAS card that gives me 6-10 extra drives). My case can hold a maximum of 14(10x 3.5", 4x 2.5" Drives so that's pretty much my limit(a 3x5.25 HDD dock and some innovation).

What I'm currently looking at building can be seen here

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GChjbX

Will this be able to run

Windows 10 Gaming VM with GPU pass thru on the GTX 1060 6GB (Should i put this on a M2-SSD too? My MB has 2xM2 slots, one for cache one for VM?)

Linux VM for productivity.

Plex in docker

VPN in Docker

Linux Server VM (I dont know if Autodl-Irssi and rTorrent + rutorrent with watchfolders can be run in an Docker, I also have my home coded filebot-type program sorting, cleaning and creating symlinks of my files for easy Plex Matching)

Regarding Plex i always run direct Play, over both LAN and WAN when away, and if i need to transcode the W10 VM will not be running.

For the NAS part Im looking at 1 disk parity and an expendable array.

My biggest fear is being PCI Lane starved, with 2xM2 SSD's and a max limit of 14 HDD's, togheter with 1 or 2 Graphics card.

Or if there is anything else i should try/think about before i pull the trigger.

Also, I have never used unraid before, but i have been using Linux for several years.

1 minute ago, david279 said:

Yes you would be able to pull this off with a x470 board. Most of the x470 boards allow 2 NVME drives by sacrificing the 3 PCIe slot. SATA M.2 will replace a onboard sata so be careful with those. There is a asRock board that has 8 sata ports and 2 M.2 Slots. 

With 3 pci slot, do you mean the bottom pci 8x slot or the 3 pci x1 slots?

Would using 2 nvme SSD's mean that I cant use the bottom pci 8x slot?

4 minutes ago, david279 said:

Yea the bottom pci x8 slot would be killed off. Actually i think it runs at x4 on most boards. If this kills it for you might want to look forward to the x299/x399 platfoms.

ThreadRipper is a bit too expensive. So worst case I can use one 1 for GPU and 1 for a sas expander card.

What difference would an NVME do for cache and VM's compared to Sata SSD's?

12 minutes ago, david279 said:

I wouldn't use NVME for cache. It would just be wasted speed. I used a 960 evo NVME for a while and it didnt make any difference with speed, went with SATA drive. I use the NVME drive now with my windows VM and it makes a world of difference. 

Thanks, gonna buy an sata SSD for cache and use my current NVME for my windows VM.

Is 250GB enough as a cache drive? Or should I go for 500GB since rtorrent seeding might fill up the cache quite fast.

55 minutes ago, Neuromancer said:

ThreadRipper is a bit too expensive. So worst case I can use one 1 for GPU and 1 for a sas expander card.

What difference would an NVME do for cache and VM's compared to Sata SSD's?

I would agree to extent but the TR4 1900x is $319 and has PCIe out the wazoo 64 to be exact the mobo would add some cost to but then some time down the road you could up the core count if you really needed to

7 hours ago, mrbilky said:

I would agree to extent but the TR4 1900x is $319 and has PCIe out the wazoo 64 to be exact the mobo would add some cost to but then some time down the road you could up the core count if you really needed to

Does ThreadRipper also have more pci lanes so I avoid the 2xNVME will make bottom pci unusable stuff?

Havent looked at threadripper so dont know much about it.

After having a look at ThreadRipper, I think i will continue with Ryzen 7 2700.

Using 1 GPU for gaming VM and Linux VM (They will not be on at the same time)

Second PCI for a sad expander card or similar. Both of these slots will now be 8x instead.

Bottom PCI will be unusable with 2 NVME SSD's for VM.

Will only using 1 NVME make the bottom pci slot available as 4x or something? Or it's lost as soon as i plug in an NVME SSD?

For the VM's im thinking

4-6 cores for gaming VM/Linux productivity VM(these will not be active at the same time since they will share the GPU)

4 core for Linux VM(headless server, migrating my current debian build, so Plex will be on this VM, with rtorrent+utorrent and autodl-Irrsi)

This would leave 6-8 cores for unraid and docker( some room for fun stuff i find when using unRaid)

Will this be possible with the parts in my OP?

1 hour ago, Neuromancer said:

After having a look at ThreadRipper, I think i will continue with Ryzen 7 2700.

Using 1 GPU for gaming VM and Linux VM (They will not be on at the same time)

Second PCI for a sad expander card or similar. Both of these slots will now be 8x instead.

Bottom PCI will be unusable with 2 NVME SSD's for VM.

Will only using 1 NVME make the bottom pci slot available as 4x or something? Or it's lost as soon as i plug in an NVME SSD?

For the VM's im thinking

4-6 cores for gaming VM/Linux productivity VM(these will not be active at the same time since they will share the GPU)

4 core for Linux VM(headless server, migrating my current debian build, so Plex will be on this VM, with rtorrent+utorrent and autodl-Irrsi)

This would leave 6-8 cores for unraid and docker( some room for fun stuff i find when using unRaid)

Will this be possible with the parts in my OP?

The 2700 is an 8 core 16 thread chip so I am assuming you mean threads but yes the 1900x has 64 PCIe lanes so you will have plenty of headroom for future upgrade and the ability to add as many add in cards as you could use without loss of SATA ports or the disabling of PCIe slots based on configuration but the 2700 is certainly a nice cpu

29 minutes ago, mrbilky said:

The 2700 is an 8 core 16 thread chip so I am assuming you mean threads but yes the 1900x has 64 PCIe lanes so you will have plenty of headroom for future upgrade and the ability to add as many add in cards as you could use without loss of SATA ports or the disabling of PCIe slots based on configuration but the 2700 is certainly a nice cpu

Thanks for answering.

with cores i meant "Threads" yes, but I belive an 2700 would show up as 16 "cores" in Unraid.

Meaning 6 "cores" for windows vm, 4 for headless linux vm with plex and rtorrent.

Leaving the rest for unraid and some dockers.

Not having to worry about pci lanes on thr Threadripper seems nice, but the 180W and price point makes it hard to justify a threadripper over 2700.

Im nervous about heat using a nova TG case.

10 hours ago, Neuromancer said:

Thanks for answering.

with cores i meant "Threads" yes, but I belive an 2700 would show up as 16 "cores" in Unraid.

Meaning 6 "cores" for windows vm, 4 for headless linux vm with plex and rtorrent.

Leaving the rest for unraid and some dockers.

Not having to worry about pci lanes on thr Threadripper seems nice, but the 180W and price point makes it hard to justify a threadripper over 2700.

Im nervous about heat using a nova TG case.

You got me there it does require some power but my 1950x is on an air cooler so no worry's with heat it runs at 35c to 45c while at work not full load but streaming video. Good luck with your build!

9 hours ago, mrbilky said:

You got me there it does require some power but my 1950x is on an air cooler so no worry's with heat it runs at 35c to 45c while at work not full load but streaming video. Good luck with your build!

Thanks,

Is there an list of compatible boards, reviews etc for Ryzen 2xxxx CPU?

The wiki is pretty outdated, and so is the sticky in this and the other hardware forum.

Searching unraid forum yields few results and google just ahows me ads for buing the mobo.

Been lookig at the MSI x470 gaming pro carbon since it sacrifices a pci 1x for 2 extra sata. And some reddit user said it had good iommu groups in an old thread i found with google.

3 hours ago, Neuromancer said:

Thanks,

Is there an list of compatible boards, reviews etc for Ryzen 2xxxx CPU?

The wiki is pretty outdated, and so is the sticky in this and the other hardware forum.

Searching unraid forum yields few results and google just ahows me ads for buing the mobo.

Been lookig at the MSI x470 gaming pro carbon since it sacrifices a pci 1x for 2 extra sata. And some reddit user said it had good iommu groups in an old thread i found with google.

I can tell you that I have an MSI x370 Pro Carbon and I'm happy with it, I currently have a R5 1600x in it and overclocked to 3.9 on air without any issues but this is not my unRAID box so cannot confirm any details on that end of it

Hi, I am in a similar situation as Neuromancer!! I want to build a new Unraid Server to replace my very old Unraid AMD Phenom II rig with a Ryzen 2700 !!!  I will be using mostly as a media server for Plex and the usual Sab, Radarr, Sonnar, Couch and a very few other dockers like Zerotier, and I will have a W10 Gaming VM!!  My question is: can I use only 1 GPU for the VM and Unraid?  I have read that I need 2 GPU one for Unraid and the other for the VM!! Can somebody help clarify the GPU situation in Ryzen? I know that the Ryzen 2xxxx family doesn't have an integrated GPU!!.  I will be using a GTX1060 with passthrough to the gaming  VM. The VM will not be used all the time!!,  just when Gaming, and I always configure Unraid headless via web interface from another machine in the network!! I am deciding on an ASUS Prime X470-Pro AM4 or GIGABYTE AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming 5  Does the difference from the X470 vs the X370 chipset will be a major factor?   Hope can someone share light on this!!  Thanks!!

On 10/5/2018 at 4:55 AM, afc said:

Hi, I am in a similar situation as Neuromancer!! I want to build a new Unraid Server to replace my very old Unraid AMD Phenom II rig with a Ryzen 2700 !!!  I will be using mostly as a media server for Plex and the usual Sab, Radarr, Sonnar, Couch and a very few other dockers like Zerotier, and I will have a W10 Gaming VM!!  My question is: can I use only 1 GPU for the VM and Unraid?  I have read that I need 2 GPU one for Unraid and the other for the VM!! Can somebody help clarify the GPU situation in Ryzen? I know that the Ryzen 2xxxx family doesn't have an integrated GPU!!.  I will be using a GTX1060 with passthrough to the gaming  VM. The VM will not be used all the time!!,  just when Gaming, and I always configure Unraid headless via web interface from another machine in the network!! I am deciding on an ASUS Prime X470-Pro AM4 or GIGABYTE AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming 5  Does the difference from the X470 vs the X370 chipset will be a major factor?   Hope can someone share light on this!!  Thanks!!

You will need 2 cards.The one slot 1 is used/reserved by UnRaid.

I got a GT610 in slot 1 and 1050Ti in slot 2 (passthrough to Ubuntu VM)

On 10/9/2018 at 12:55 AM, mAYH3M said:

You will need 2 cards.The one slot 1 is used/reserved by UnRaid.

I got a GT610 in slot 1 and 1050Ti in slot 2 (passthrough to Ubuntu VM)

Thanks, mAYH3m!!  I have a GTX570, laying around that I can use for Unraid!! and use a GTX1060 for the Gaming VM!!!

• 5 months later...
On 10/2/2018 at 8:21 AM, Neuromancer said:

Is there any reason why you would run Plex on a linux VM instead of the Docker one? Is there any speed improvement?