Scared to upgrade but I'm on 6.2.4

detz

I need to upgrade but last time I did I had kernel panics and it took me a day to revert my machine back so it was usable and now I'm scared to do it again.

The previous issue was here: 

Naldinho said in that thread that 6.4 worked but that was beta and now we're on 6.6. I remember I used to be able to copy a few files to the flash to test but I don't see that option and it looks like I can only use the interface to upgrade which scares me if something goes wrong. To boot, it doesn't even give me the option to upgrade so I'll have to force it but I still feel nervous about reverting. What are some steps I can take to try out the upgrade?

1 hour ago, detz said:

I need to upgrade but last time I did I had kernel panics and it took me a day to revert my machine back so it was usable and now I'm scared to do it again.

The previous issue was here: 

Naldinho said in that thread that 6.4 worked but that was beta and now we're on 6.6. I remember I used to be able to copy a few files to the flash to test but I don't see that option and it looks like I can only use the interface to upgrade which scares me if something goes wrong. To boot, it doesn't even give me the option to upgrade so I'll have to force it but I still feel nervous about reverting. What are some steps I can take to try out the upgrade?

The manual method for installing a release by copying all the bz* files from the zip download of the release to the root of the USB drive still works for both upgrading and reverting.   

Make sure you have a backup backup of the contents of your USB drive before you do anything, and it is easy to revert by putting back the original contents.