Blinking cursor on boot since 6.6.1 upgrade

So I just put the USB into my main computer....

It shows as unallocated with no partitions.

I guess that's that dead then. I assume the updater fucked something up.

Is there a backup config on the array? How can I tell which drive was the parity drive if I do a new install?

So frustrating :(

Partition might of got borked but there are recovery tools you could try. Just don't write to it till you try the recovery tools first. If you can recover the partition you can copy the config and stuff out along with the license but others may chime in who are more experienced than I on this situation.

The recommendation for USB drives is 32GB or smaller.   It has to be formatted as Fat32.  Itis best that the UBS drive be USB2 and that you plug it into a USB2 (black plastic inset) socket. (USB3 has problems with some MB's and BIOS's...) 

To determine which drive is the Parity Drive with a new configuration, you assign all of the drives as Data Drives.  The one that is unformatted is the Parity Drive.  (Should you have more than one unformatted drive, come back for more help!)  Should you have a Cache Drive, hopefully, you can tell which one it is by its size.  

Edited by Frank1940
  • Like 1
57 minutes ago, rtho782 said:

I'm now having issues with dockers, they all reappeared but I can't edit them (option is missing in the UI).

Someone said the template xml files were missing in another thread, but I'm not sure I can do much about that...

If you delete a docker and then reinstall it through CA Previous Apps, does it come back "whole?"

2 hours ago, rtho782 said:

I'm now having issues with dockers, they all reappeared but I can't edit them (option is missing in the UI).

Someone said the template xml files were missing in another thread, but I'm not sure I can do much about that...

If in the course of your adventure you redid the flash drive, then your templates are missing, and no way to edit them.  You will have to make a note of the current paths / ports you've set up on the docker page, then remove those applications, then re-add them from scratch via the Apps tab and recreate those mappings / ports.  You won't lose any data as the appdata is stored outside of the application itself.

Thanks, I did exactly that, there were only a few things I had to figure out that were not displayed in the advanced tab.

What I don't understand is, given that all the dockers were working although not editable, it must have had all the settings, so surely it should be able to reconstruct whatever it needed for the XML file, but I'm all back up and running now so nevermind.

I'm using the CA Appdata Backup/Restore plugin to keep a backup of the USB now. I'd like it if I could keep backups of JUST the USB, although that doesn't seem to be an option.

Is there a simple way to move the image from this new USB back to the old one? I don't have a license for this new one right now and would rather not transfer it in case this one dies within a year....

Yes, if you have a copy of the old key file in a safe place.  Format the old Flash Drive.  Stop the Array.  Copy the contents of the working flash drive to the old (newly formatted)  Flash Drive.  Copy the key file to the    config     folder of that drive.  Run the make_bootable procedure again (safety step).  Boot from old drive.  

By the way, you should always have a current backup copy of your Flash Drive stored someplace off the server.  You can do this by the process just listed or you can can  go to    Main   >>>  Boot Device   >>>  Flash (under Device column)  >>>  Flash Device Setting   and click on Flash Backup button.