Code 43 with nvidia gtx960

So I'm not the only one with Error 43 I see.   I get it whether I use VNC as primary display and an NVidia GT 710 as secondary.  Did this so I could install the drivers because I wasn't getting any video.  I will try again removing the VNC as primary and dumping the ROM and editing the NVidia header...  I know I didn't have this issue when I was using an RX 460 but that got moved to my new rig.  Worse case I will have to move away from NVidia and look for the best performing PCIe x1 Radeon graphics card...  😩

EDIT:

I tried with the ROM from techpowerup.com with no luck.  Still getting error 43.  I checked PID/VID and they matched, so did the memory and it was even the same brand, Zotac.  I ordered the GT 730 (seems to be the fastest PCIe x1) and will try that, paid almost twice as much as the GT 710, I hope it does work, because these cards work on other machines, but not on my VM.  The RX460 worked fine, and the one before, an HD 6750 also worked fine with no issues.

Edited by m4f1050

Ok, I have reinstalled Windows 10, used OVMF, SeaBIOS, I've tried EVERYTHING and I still can't get video.

Do I need the first GPU to be dedicated for unRAID and the 2nd one for pass-thru?  I can't get this to work.

I only have 1 GT 710 (I ordered a GT 730 - on it's way) but with just 1 GPU I can't do video pass-thru if it's NVidia?

I was able to do video pass-thru with a single GPU when I was using HD 6750 and RX 460...

• 2 weeks later...

Having a nightmare with this too. I did have it working ages ago, with a dumped BIOS. Since then i've switched to UEFI boot, and am trying to run this on an X99E-ITX - single slot motherboard, no onboard GPU. Tried both OMVF & SeaBIOS (the latter ran really slowly)

Do ATI cards 'just work' or do they have similar issues?

Edited by nox_uk

I am actually running headless- with the first GPU that unraid grabs- being re-assigned to the 4th VM.  I did have to pass the GPU ROM into the VM on that 4th machine to get it working.  Once I did that- things seemed smooth and stable.  From what I understand AMD cards work much better (ATI... heh).  Still using OMVF with ACS override enabled.  REALLY impressed with how well things run with it fully loaded.  All 4 gamers have a smooth experience with no lag or jitters.  I am running multiple game servers on a Ubuntu VM and steamcache all on my unraid beast.  I can even load up ARK dedicated, with 16 players (4 running on the same unraid box) and things really work well.  At this point, I have a stand alone steam server with files for download and dedicated servers to play... no network required.  The best part is that my LAN parties are actually all about gaming instead of fixing and updating people's computers.

• Like 1
On 10/4/2018 at 7:12 PM, jordanmw said:

Still getting the same result for 2 cards installed. VM Windows won't boot without the vnc card added.  It will still load if I add a card, and usually let me install drivers, but on reboot, it won't boot.

I discovered this by accident. I would load the vcard bios from Tech Power Up (that I edited via hex editor thank you @SpaceInvaderOne) and try to boot — nothing. I couldn't connect with the RDP viewer and nothing would show up on the monitor/TV (HDMI; I've built the server to run headless after all things are settled.)

In other words, I cannot get the RDP to connect if I don't have VNC enabled; the VM just sits there without me knowing what is happening. Oh and the monitor I have connected is just black.

On 10/2/2018 at 7:37 PM, jonp said:

A few things to try.  First, in the motherboard BIOS, do you have an option to enable 4G decoding?  If so, please enable that.  Another thing to try would be to turn on VFIO allow unsafe interrupts.  Also, are you booting using a OVMF or SeaBIOS VM right now?  Try changing that and reinstall windows. 

Thank you @jonp for chiming in and sharing some triage support. I'd up-vote more of your posts, but up-votes/likes are like golden eggs on here; there's a daily limit.

On 10/5/2018 at 11:55 AM, jonp said:

When you get a Code 43 error, it is because of one of a few things.  The most obvious thing is a problem with the hardware, but that's not always the reason.

That said, Code 43 will almost always happen if you try to do GPU pass through where VNC is the primary display and the GPU is a secondary.  The big question here is what happens when you try to install windows without VNC (just the GPU).  This should work with both OVMF and SeaBIOS, but if it doesn't work with OVMF, you might want to try SeaBIOS.  Another thing to check is to contact EVGA and see if there are any firmware updates for your card.  EVGA doesn't just have them available for download from their website, you actually need to contact them to check if there are real firmware updates available and they will ask you to send them the mode/serial number for your device(s).  They are VERY responsive to these requests, so I would definitely do it.

Another gem. Thank you for posting this. I will try creating another template without the VNC. I've already installed the Nvidia drivers on the VM...so it should work.

On 10/4/2018 at 11:39 PM, jordanmw said:

I got all 4 up and running! Now I'm on to the audio issues.... demon sound? Seems like a couple of scripts put together the right way could iron some of this out... did the msi edit, but no dice.

@jordanmw P-L-E-A-S-E do come back when you find the time and give us a detailed share on how you got things to work. Please don't sit on the knowledge. The community would greatly appreciate it. But, if life is hectic — we will understand too.

@everyone: Would it be helpful if I post my rig's specs here?

I'll update accordingly. I feel like I'm so close to getting this GPU to work.

P.S. - I made a backup of my VM image after doing a clean install and got most of the performance tweaks set. This way you shouldn't have to be re-installing Windows each and every time you need to wipe the slate clean. I just delete the VM template, but leave the image file where it is; useful when trying to test OVMF VS. SeaBIOS.

Edited by Zer0Nin3r
You don't have to reinstall Windows each time.

Sorry for the absence.  I have just been having way too much fun gaming on my rig.  Many hours of gaming have been had- and I am really happy to have everything working.  My biggest issues are now related to usb mapping and controllers.  I wish I had some secret that held the secret to getting all of this up and running.  I actually ended up treating each VM as it's own physical machine- setting up without VNC ever added.  Every time I did that, it worked perfectly.  OVMF for all machines and only passed the bios through to the one machine that was taking over the GPU unraid uses.  I turned off hyper-v on all of them, but the rest was default.  I think most of the issues with code 43 were related to VNC being the primary video and possibly trying to pass through a bios that might have not been perfect for the card.  I did dump my own bios for the one card that unraid was using- that seemed to work.  I wish I had more info to be helpful- and ever since I got everything working well, nobody wants me to work on it- just play with them!

I really want to take some time to do some more testing- but just haven't gotten a chance.  My next big challenge is that I bought a 4 controller USB card to pass a controller to each machine- but no 4xpcie slot to put it in.  Trying to use my U.2 port with an adapter to 4xpcie but the computer doesn't see it.  Still trying to figure that out.  If I can get some time with it alone- I will do some more testing when I troubleshoot that issue.  

Edited by jordanmw
On 10/26/2018 at 6:56 AM, jordanmw said:

I actually ended up treating each VM as it's own physical machine- setting up without VNC ever added.  Every time I did that, it worked perfectly.  OVMF for all machines and only passed the bios through to the one machine that was taking over the GPU unraid uses.  I turned off hyper-v on all of them, but the rest was default. 

How are you able to get through the install process? How are you able to get an image up? I'm trying to do a fresh install without VNC, I have a TV/monitor setup through HDMI, but no signal coming out of the HDMI port (it's all I have access to; I'm OS X based and only have a Thunderbolt Display.)

I'm currently booted in a headless state. When you are doing the VM installs without VNC, are you booting into Unraid via the GUI option from the boot menu?

My ACS override & VFIO settings at the moment:

1253931243_ScreenShot2018-10-26at10_09_58.png.e657c0f081319775b118cead2c1b869d.png

@jordanmw Would you confirm your ACS override & VFIO settings for us please?

I'd rather not have to toggle either one of these, but I'm trying to get this pass through to work.

Regardless, don't feel the need to tinker with it anymore than you have to. With your posts in this thread with the Lime Tech guys, there are a lot of bread crumbs to glean from.

Key conclusion that I am coming to: You need two GPU's to do a pass through to your VM.

Not my ideal cup of tea — I'd like to be able to pass through a single GPU and not have to come out of pocket any more than I need to at the moment; over budget.

Motherboard BIOS Toggles:

• SVM Mode
    • Enabled
  • CSM Support:
    • Enabled (Default)
  • Above 4G Decoding
    • User defined: Enabled
      • OEM Spec: Disabled (Default)
  • IOMMU
    • Enabled <-- Enabling this allows for the Designare X399 to do the heavy lifting for you i.e., You won't have to enable ACS override nor VFIO allow unsafe interrupts.
      • Auto (Default)
  • PCIe Slot Configuration
    • Auto
      • (Options: Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3)
  • Fast Boot
    • Enabled
  • Storage Boot Option Control
    • Legacy Only (Default)
      • (Opt: Disabled, UEFI Only)
  • Other PCI Device ROM Priority
    • UEFI Only (Default)
  • Administrator Password
  • Initial Display Output
    • PCIe 4 Slot (User defined)
      • Specifically telling the BIOS/Motherboard which will be your primary display, will assign that card to Unraid. In this case I am assigning my cheap GPU to Unraid which is currently installed in Slot 4.

Further Notes:

• Ubuntu VM GPU Pass Through Test
    • Video card works & is valid
    • Image displays on the screen; OS boots into desktop
    • Result: Pass
  • Windows VM GPU Test
    • Single CPU
    • SeaBIOS
    • Hyper-V
      • No
    • Use of vcard bios from TechPowerUp: True
    • Pass through of HDMI Audio: True
    • Result: Fail
  • Windows VM GPU Test
    • Single CPU
    • OVMF
    • Hyper-V
      • No
    • Use of vcard BIOS that I dumped from CLI: True
      • Source Instructions: Here
  • Windows VM GPU Test
    • CPU x 4
    • OVMF
    • Hyper-V
      • No
    • Use of vcard BIOS that I dumped from CLI: True
    • Installed Nvidia drivers: True
      • I used RDP via VNC to install the Nvidia drivers. After installation, I shut the VM down, removed VNC, and rebooted.
    • Notes:
      • The drivers install fine and the VM boots up.
      • Still no video output to my monitor via HDMI.
      • I can log in via RDP however, the resolution is something like 640x480
      • Code 43 still present
        • Driver does show as installed via Window's Device Manager
    • Windows VM GPU Test
      • CPU x 4
      • OVMF
      • Hyper-V
        • No
      • Use of vcard BIOS that I dumped from CLI: False
    • Windows VM GPU Test
      • CPU x 6
      • OVMF
      • Hyper-V
        • No
        • I'm not passing any bios through via VM settings/template
        • Bios is the latest when I installed the video drivers from Nvidia
      • PCIe ACS Override: Disabled
      • VFIO allow unsafe interrupts: No
      • Result: PASS Fail
    • Windows VM GPU Test
      • CPU x 6
      • OVMF
      • Hyper-V
        • Yes
        • I'm not passing any bios through via VM settings/template
        • Bios is the latest when I installed the video drivers from Nvidia (GTX 1060)
      • PCIe ACS Override: Disabled
      • VFIO allow unsafe interrupts: No
      • Switched to Microsoft Remote Desktop
        • Enable in system settings
        • Install the client. In this case, they have a client for OS X.
      • Installed Headless HDMI adapter into the GTX 1060
      • Result: PASS

====

27-OCT-18

So, in all of my testing yesterday, single GPU pass through with the GPU in the primary (1st) slot failed in all instances. Using the vbios dumps from TechPowerUp and removing the Nvidia bios flasher didn't work either. I did go out and picked up an additional graphics card, I tried to find the cheapest available, a MSI GeForce GT 710 installed in slot 4 (16x) of my motherboard. The initial test shows that the card can be passed through and no Code 43 occurred. The next step would have been to install the Nvidia drivers for the card. I did however, still have problems trying to pass through the EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 which was still installed in slot 1 (primary).

Today I want to:

1. Try the vbios that is posted at:
  2. Move the EVGA 1060 to slot two and pull the vbios.
    1. Move the GTX 1060 back to slot one with secondary GPU removed
    2. Re-test single GPU pass through

12:44

Success!! While unable to pass through a single GPU, I'm okay with that for now. The second GPU is assigned to the host (Unraid) which frees up the 1060 in the primary slot for pass through. Image is viewable via HDMI and RDP works well (Parsec is working and recognizes the GPU.)

In the last test, I disabled the ACS Override and VFIO unsafe interrupts because as I assumed correctly, the Designare X399 has intelligent management of the IOMMU; I have it set to Enabled VS Auto (Auto wasn't working for me before.)

Next is to test HDMI sound.

16:03

HDMI sound via RDP worked. Not through the TV though.

Been running into problems. I deleted the VM template and the vdisk image for the Gaming Rig. I started a new template and restored my baseline vdisk that I have pre-configured instead of having to do a fresh install. Although, it may come to that.

Now that I am headless, I am receiving a Code 43. I wonder if I have to have a monitor plugged into the host GPU (Unraid's) so that I can get pass through to work on the guest GPU (Gaming VM).

16:45

• So strange. Now none of my VM's want to work headless with pass through.
  • Trying to launch the VM and one CPU thread is pegged at 100%. No other cores are activated. I presume that the VM is booting into recovery mode.
    • Passing through both GPUs and the cores are going as expected.

22:42

Took a break. Came back and have been working on it for 2.5 hours. Splashtop was giving me display problems. Lots of switching around in the VM template trying with vcard bios and without. The VM responds to the MSI GT 710 being in slot 4 with vcard BIOS passed through; I'm using a bios from TechPowerUp with the Nvidia header removed via a hex edit (it matches the same vcard bios that is in SpaceInvaderOne's forum that is featured in the Dropbox.)

Microsoft RDP is amazing. It will automatically match the VM resolution to the Thunderbolt display and it's responsive. No lag and it feels liek you're using Windows 10 natively. Sound works too!

23:34

Even though the USB gaming mouse is passed through, I cannot control it while connected with Microsoft RDP. Also, while sound works on the gaming headset, the microphone does not.

05-NOV-18

Final Thoughts

So, it's been over a week now and the pass through of the GPU's have been working flawlessly in my Windows VM's and so far in MacOS High Sierra. The key (as many will tell you) is to have a low end GPU for Unraid. I suppose it is possible to have single GPU pass through in Slot One if you dump the GPU firmware/bios by moving it to another slot other than Slot One, but I haven't gone as far as to break down the server and go through the process.

I did manage to pass through the GTX 1060 & GT 710 at the same time without a Code 43 in Windows for either card. It is to be noted that I am passing through the GPU firmware on the GT 710, but I didn't go as far as to test any applications or pull up the Task Manager to see if the GT 710 was being utilized or if the updated Nvidia drivers cover all Nvidia cards or if drivers are only installed for the GPU that is present at the time of installation.

Additionally, I installed an HDMI adapter for headless servers/PCs in order to use LAN game streaming software such as Parsec, Nvidia GameStream + Moonlight, and Steam In-Home Streaming. The HDMI adapter is a must for Parsec and Moonlight otherwise you will only get a black screen on the client side.

In closing, I would love to be able to ditch the "dummy" GPU to free up resources and cut (albeit) energy consumption, but for now I am a happy camper.

P.S. - It would be cool to be able to have two VM's going at the same time (One for Gaming, the other for Live Streaming) with the second VM utilizing the GT 710. Then it would be worth it to have the secondary GPU installed. The problem of the matter then becomes, "How do you pass video and audio from the primary VM to the Secondary VM?"

====

Here's my setup:

232852613_ScreenShot2018-10-26at10_02_22.png.ada9a9e1ecffcb0baffff0363dffc0bd.png

#Gigabyte #designare #x399 #Threadripper #1950x #Nvidia #GTX1060 #EVGA #Ryzen

I did dump my own bios for the one card that unraid was using- that seemed to work. 

I tried to dump my own bios from the EVGA GTX 1060, but wasn't having any luck with Tech Power Up's GPU-Z (and I've tried several older version of their software.)

On the original VM I'm working out of, I was finally able to gain access to the VM through RDP (after setting it up with VNC and installing an RDP client) with just the pass through alone, but I still get an error code 43 and the resolution is at like 640x480.

Sorry for the absence.  I have just been having way too much fun gaming on my rig. 

Glad to hear this! Stoked for you!

Edited by Zer0Nin3r
Final thoughts after getting pass through to work.

I know I have fastboot disabled, and I don't let it boot to the gui- only terminal.  Here are my acs and VFIO settings:

image.png.13b4a609212194029217cebd58146d2b.png

I did not enable the 4G decoding since when I did, it would not post.  Not sure of the issue there, but shouldn't be needed.  I used another PC to dump the bios from the card that unraid uses as primary- then removed the header as suggested by spaceinvaderone- and that worked to pass through.  GPUz works really well and didn't have an issue with versions.  Newest should work fine.  

Not sure what all the differences are in the ACS override- but mine is set to downstream- not really sure what is best there.

I would say with all the successes here for passing through a single card- you shouldn't need 2 cards.  I really think the key for me was dumping the exact bios from my card- and hexediting the header- then passing it through.  It was the only way I could get the primary card to pass through.  I tried bios files from techpowerup but eventually just dumped the actual bios.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, jordanmw said:

I did not enable the 4G decoding since when I did, it would not post. 

Meaning your PC wouldn't even boot past the bios. Correct?

6 minutes ago, jordanmw said:

I used another PC to dump the bios from the card

I wonder if I will have better luck with this from terminal within a Linux VM. I'll give it a shot.

7 minutes ago, jordanmw said:

you shouldn't need 2 cards. 

Here's hoping! 🤞🏼