HP Proliant ML350 G6

Lassley7

I have a basic question, can I leave my hp 410i card in and plug all my HDD into the motherboard itself? Or will unraid still see that card as a problem? I can’t remove it as doing so makes the server go into panic mode “fans 100%” but if I can get away with not buying a HBA card that would be great. 

16 minutes ago, whipdancer said:

You should be able to. I can move drives from MB to Controller Card and back - but I've never done all of them at once.

I don’t want to use both the card will sit un used but I want to keep it there so the system doesn’t panic thinking there’s an issue. And plug all my drives into the MB then to a hot swap rack -then my drives becuase as of now the p410i is going to a 6 bay SAS hot swap, I’m going to remove this SAS chassis for a sata one but instead of using the raid card, I’m only going to use the MB. Just not sure if this is possible since the system will see the raid card, witch is not supported with unraid if I’ve read correct 

Edited by Lassley7

if it's a physical card, remove it. if it's onboard, disable it in the bios. A few versions ago unraid had problems/conflicts with mixed use of p410i and jbod sata. It may have been resolved in subsequent versions but I never retested since I don't use the p410i as it can't do jbod.

3 hours ago, 1812 said:

if it's a physical card, remove it. if it's onboard, disable it in the bios. A few versions ago unraid had problems/conflicts with mixed use of p410i and jbod sata. It may have been resolved in subsequent versions but I never retested since I don't use the p410i as it can't do jbod.

I was told if u remove the card u will end up causing the system to go into “Amber” mode causing the fans to be 100% thinking there is a system problem, and that I need to leave it plugged into the board but need a separate card in IT mode  so that unraid will correctly see the drives 

20 minutes ago, Lassley7 said:

I was told if u remove the card u will end up causing the system to go into “Amber” mode causing the fans to be 100% thinking there is a system problem, and that I need to leave it plugged into the board but need a separate card in IT mode  so that unraid will correctly see the drives 

never heard of one freaking out w/out the raid card. I've have a 120g6 that came with a b1xxx raid card. It didn't care if it was there or not. no faults, no problems.

either way, just pull the card and boot the system, see if it freaks out. won't hurt anything. but you will need an hba with jbod function to access the drives unless you have enough sata ports on the board and the drives aren't on a backplane.

• 2 weeks later...