WD Red 8tb running warm

azzilla

15 minutes ago, azzilla said:

I just upgraded my parity drive from a generic seagate 6tb to a WD red 8tb and the temperature logged is around 15-20 degrees warmer than all the other drives. At the parity write it maxed out at around 55 degrees celsius. Now it is at 51 degrees.

Is this really normal?

warmtempred.JPG

I know that my WD drives run a little warmer maybe 1 or 2 degrees than my Seagates but looking at your picture, I think you need to invest in more fans . 

You need to keep the temps down to below 40 on the drives or else you are risking eary hard drive failures. Just my opinion but I think others will agree.

• Like 1
I know that my WD drives run a little warmer maybe 1 or 2 degrees than my Seagates but looking at your picture, I think you need to invest in more fans . 

You need to keep the temps down to below 40 on the drives or else you are risking eary hard drive failures. Just my opinion but I think others will agree.

I know that my fan solution could improve overall. It’s just that the temperature varies so much. I have three 120mm fans in my Silverstone DS380 and I have never had temperatures over 35 degrees when idle.

Not really concerned about life span at the moment as I am migrating the internals to a rack mount case soon. Then I can shove more fans in there and hopefully thermals will be better overall.

Just wanted to updatea bit and say that the temperatures has decreased drastically since i did some modifications to my Silverstone DS380. I 3d printed a "cooling duct" that i found from someone who had similar problems. https://blog.briancmoses.com/2017/04/creating-a-cooling-duct-for-the-silverstone-ds380.html

I also installed two Noctua NF-F12 Industrial 3000rpm fans. Loud af but as my server is in the basement, thats not an issue.

Thanks for all the advice!

unraidtemp.thumb.JPG.8f10cc0bc70466070965a738f62e4ca8.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1