Upgrading past 6.5.1 and Server crashes

This has been an on going problem ever since 6.5.2. Every time a new version comes out, I try and upgrade to it, but after a few days, I have to roll back to 6.5.1 because the server keeps going down. Once rolled back to 6.5.1, Unraid runs pretty much forever.

I've tried everything. Even safe mode crashes, though it does seem to take several days to do so, while normally it crashes within 24 hours. It always seems to happen over night when it is not in use. It has never occurred while in use...

I ran Troubleshooting mode and hopefully captured the problem.

Thanks for looking!

DB

Edited by DoeBoye
deleted attachments
6 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Besides some cosmetics fixes the main difference between v6.5.1 and v6.5.2 was the new Intel microcode, so it might be related to that, though you're already using the latest bios so not sure what more you can do.

Yeah, I was a bit worried about that. Nothing jumped out at me as being vastly different either.

A few more bits of information that might help:

1. I know it's not just the network connectivity, as even connected to Unraid directly with keyboard and screen, things are completely frozen when it goes down.

2. IPMI still works. I can log into the ASRock utility and see the stats, reboot the server etc.

3. I've wiped the usb key and done a fresh install of 6.6.1 as well.

4. Though I have no proof, I feel it might be related to the vms. I did rebuild the vms from scratch though. They were built early on directly in XML, so I though perhaps there was malformed code, so I rebuilt them in 6.6 using the built in form, using the newest drivers etc.

5. As johnnie mentioned, I've updated to the newest bios and BMC (Newish - released in the last few months)

Does anyone else using the same motherboard have anything newer then 6.5.1 running without issue?

Edited by DoeBoye
1 hour ago, itimpi said:

Are you using NFS?   A problem has been identified that can cause crashes when using NFS shares.   Limetech seem to have been able to identify the problem but not yet the fix.

Sadly no. SMB only.

So weird that 6.5.1 is rock solid for me. I mean runs for months without issue, while anything newer generally crashes within a day :(.

Edited by DoeBoye
  • 3 weeks later...

So I believe I have "solved" this problem. By reinstalling a bare bones install of 6.6, and slowly re-introducing all my plugins and dockers, I narrowed down the problem to the Unassigned Devices plugin.

I was concerned that it was an incompatibility with unassigned devices, and I was going to have to passthrough my whole SSD for my VMs, but then I had the smart idea of deleting the unassigned devices plugin folder and recreating it from scratch 😋.

No more problems! Very odd that 6.5.1 had no issues with it, but anything else would crash.

Maybe this will help someone else experiencing random unexplained lockups and crashes.

Edited by DoeBoye
  • Like 1