*ALL* shares are *GONE* ... ??? (unRAID 6.6.1)

I have an uptime of over 7 days now on 6.6.2, which is the longest uptime I've had on unraid in months.  This is with NFS use.  Interestingly, I see a lot of rpcbind messages spamming my syslog with NFS lock requests - I'm assuming this is part of the enhanced information that was enabled.

I'm a fan of this software and linux in general, but I feel like these problems could have been avoided if the new kernel was tested fully for a few weeks at least with multiple usage scenarios (including NFS load testing) on the test branch before it was moved over to the stable branch.  Stable shouldn't be beta-testing brand new kernel versions with unknown bugs.  I would and have criticized Redhat, Suse, and Microsoft for doing the same at times.

11 hours ago, Kamikazejs said:

I have an uptime of over 7 days now on 6.6.2, which is the longest uptime I've had on unraid in months.  This is with NFS use.  Interestingly, I see a lot of rpcbind messages spamming my syslog with NFS lock requests - I'm assuming this is part of the enhanced information that was enabled.

I'm a fan of this software and linux in general, but I feel like these problems could have been avoided if the new kernel was tested fully for a few weeks at least with multiple usage scenarios (including NFS load testing) on the test branch before it was moved over to the stable branch.  Stable shouldn't be beta-testing brand new kernel versions with unknown bugs.  I would and have criticized Redhat, Suse, and Microsoft for doing the same at times.

Yes, it's the apparent lack of testing that bugs me.  I posted about it (twice) and received no response.  And, before anyone says the mods/devs don't read every post - yes, I'm aware of that.

I just can't see how this sort of thing could get missed, especially since the issue is so prevalent.  And it's been posted about as early as 2014, something else I've mentioned.  That didn't get much reaction, either.

6.5.3 is working fine right now but we shouldn't be forced back to old versions when new major "stable" versions are released.

• 2 weeks later...

Hm, I just noticed that I am having the problem with my user shares gone now myself.

At this point it does not really bug me, apart from the emptiness under "User Shares" and the blank page I get when I click on "Add Share", everything still seems to work as advertised.

But, so just that you know: It isn't fixed in 6.6.5 either.

5 minutes ago, whauk said:

Hm, I just noticed that I am having the problem with my user shares gone now myself.

At this point it does not really bug me, apart from the emptiness under "User Shares" and the blank page I get when I click on "Add Share", everything still seems to work as advertised.

But, so just that you know: It isn't fixed in 6.6.5 either.

Has anybody actually posted their diagnostics on this? Many people aren't reporting this so it would be useful to know what is different about your configuration.

Also, depending on the exact details of your symptoms, it is possible some problem with your configuration or other systems on your network is the actual cause and not some particular version of Unraid.

For example, what do you mean exactly when you say your user shares are gone? Gone from the webUI, or gone from the network? If they are just not showing up in the webUI it is likely a browser issue.

And if the user shares are not in the webUI or on the network, then it is possible some other issue with your disks is breaking user shares.

As always, just because your vague description of your problem reminds you of another persons vague description of their problem doesn't mean the details of your problem is the same as theirs.

5 hours ago, trurl said:

For example, what do you mean exactly when you say your user shares are gone? Gone from the webUI, or gone from the network? If they are just not showing up in the webUI it is likely a browser issue.

The user is talking about looking in the WebUI and finding no shares there.  Specifically, NFS I believe.  Also, when browsing to /mnt on the unRAID box, the "user" folder is marked with ???????? instead of the appropriate permissions (rwx-rw- etc.)

It isn't a browser issue.  I had the same issue where all my NFS shares were inaccessible, and was quite vocal about it (which upset 1 or 2 people).

All that said, I'm on 6.6.5 now and everything has been working fine since I went to 6.6.4.

14 hours ago, digitalformula said:

The user is talking about looking in the WebUI and finding no shares there.  Specifically, NFS I believe.  Also, when browsing to /mnt on the unRAID box, the "user" folder is marked with ???????? instead of the appropriate permissions (rwx-rw- etc.)

It isn't a browser issue.  I had the same issue where all my NFS shares were inaccessible, and was quite vocal about it (which upset 1 or 2 people).

All that said, I'm on 6.6.5 now and everything has been working fine since I went to 6.6.4.

The specific user I had replied to says they are still having the problem on 6.6.5, and they haven't posted a diagnostic that I have seen. Or replied with a less vague description of their specific situation. So the more general point I was making is illustrated very well.

19 hours ago, trurl said:

As always, just because your vague description of your problem reminds you of another persons vague description of their problem doesn't mean the details of your problem is the same as theirs.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

The specific user I had replied to says they are still having the problem on 6.6.5, and they haven't posted a diagnostic that I have seen. Or replied with a less vague description of their specific situation. So the more general point I was making is illustrated very well.

Well, thanks for the spanking - I deserved it.

In my specific case it was a browser problem (one that I do not understand yet) - Firefox (63.0.1 on 64-bit Win10, updated to 1809 - revised version) shows empty space while Edge (same OS, Microsoft Edge V. 44.17763.1.0) shows the (SMB) shares where and how they are supposed to look.

Edited by whauk
7 hours ago, trurl said:

Hmmmm I was just outlining the issue they were referring to, not saying you didn't illustrate your point.  If that offended you ... well ... not sure how else I could've said it, really.

4 hours ago, digitalformula said:

Hmmmm I was just outlining the issue they were referring to, not saying you didn't illustrate your point.  If that offended you ... well ... not sure how else I could've said it, really.

I was not offended, I was just using your post to emphasize my point. But you seem to have missed the other point (or really just an example of the general point), which is that the issue that user was having was not at all the issue you were referring to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is still happening 6.8.3 the fuse fail caused all shares to drop. A restart is the only way I know how to fix it. Does anyone have a solution to fix this with out a restart. I tired to stop the array and start it and that didn't do it either. 

Is there a service to restart that will bring shares back when this happens?

8 minutes ago, Dallas.toth said:

This is still happening 6.8.3 the fuse fail caused all shares to drop. A restart is the only way I know how to fix it. Does anyone have a solution to fix this with out a restart. I tired to stop the array and start it and that didn't do it either. 

Is there a service to restart that will bring shares back when this happens?

On 11/14/2018 at 1:54 PM, trurl said:

Has anybody actually posted their diagnostics on this? Many people aren't reporting this so it would be useful to know what is different about your configuration.

Also, depending on the exact details of your symptoms, it is possible some problem with your configuration or other systems on your network is the actual cause and not some particular version of Unraid.

And if the user shares are not in the webUI or on the network, then it is possible some other issue with your disks is breaking user shares.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 5:24 PM, digitalformula said:

@trurl The same issue reported in this thread. 
I then found this post which I followed and moved some of the directories over from User to Cache 

I haven't hit the issue since then so I am hoping it doesn't come back. 

Edited by Dallas.toth
added @trurl to post
6 minutes ago, Dallas.toth said:

moved some of the directories over from User to Cache

I assume you mean you changed the paths to refer directly to cache instead of the user share. No need to actually move anything, and moving from share to disk (cache) can result in lost data.

On 5/27/2020 at 9:53 AM, trurl said:

I assume you mean you changed the paths to refer directly to cache instead of the user share. No need to actually move anything, and moving from share to disk (cache) can result in lost data.

Correct I changed my paths in some of my docker containers that were using user and changed them to use the dir though the cache path