Temperature monitoring Threadripper

• 1 month later...

Also just built an unRaid setup on TR (MSI SLI Plus X399, 2950X) and I can't get any meaningful temperature readings out.

sensors -u
k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
Tdie:
  temp1_input: 32.750
  temp1_max: 70.000
Tctl:
  temp2_input: 59.750

k10temp-pci-00cb
Tdie:
  temp1_input: 30.625
Tctl:
  temp2_input: 57.625

That's about it from the command line. Ideally, the Dynamix plugin will get updated. There's a few posts about the Nuovoton (???) IO chip...

Think my temps are fine, but would be good to be able to monitor them, especially when I start to load up the system...

Xav. 

On 10/5/2018 at 11:47 AM, RadialBlur said:

Does anyone know if / when Threadripper temperature monitoring is ever going to work?

They work now (Unraid 6.6.5), if you have the k10temp module installed.

4 hours ago, xavierda said:

I can't get any meaningful temperature readings out.

What do you think is wrong with the output of the sensors command? You're seeing a reading for Tdie and the value for Tctl is 27 degrees higher, as expected. Do you see them increase under load?

I too can't work out the correct temps to set in system temp plugin. I have the MSI MEG X399 and a 2950x. Here's my sensors -u output.

-------------------------------
k10temp-pci-00c3
Tdie:
  temp1_input: 48.000
Tctl:
  temp2_input: 75.000

k10temp-pci-00cb
Tdie:
  temp1_input: 47.625
Tctl:
  temp2_input: 74.625

--------------------------------

What's weird is that the idle temp 48.0 immediately shoots up by nearly 20 degrees to 66 degrees as soon as I run Prime95. When I stop Prime, the temps drop by 20 degrees. Even weirder, the temps never ever goes above 67.1 degrees no matter how much load is on all cores of my 2950x.

Dynamix system temp plugin detects the sensors as nct7802.

Any ideas?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, John_M said:

They work now (Unraid 6.6.5), if you have the k10temp module installed.

What do you think is wrong with the output of the sensors command? You're seeing a reading for Tdie and the value for Tctl is 27 degrees higher, as expected. Do you see them increase under load?

Basically, I wanted to see these values in the status bar (Dynamix plugin) and the output didn't indicate which was the MB Temp and which was CPU Temp....read on...

2 hours ago, mikeyosm said:

Dynamix system temp plugin detects the sensors as nct7802.

Okay, this is strange - when I went to the settings page in Dynamix temp, clicking 'Detect' didn't do anything, and I couldn't select anything from the drop down boxes. After reading the above, I went back to that page, pasted in 'nct7802' and now I can select options! 

What was stranger is that initially it had the rather cryptic 'k10temp - tDie' as an option. After clicking save, it now shows 'k10temp - CPU Temp' and 'k10temp - MB Temp' respectively.

Running the 'sensors' command also shows something a bit more meaningful:

sensors
k10temp-pci-00c3
CPU Temp:     +34.5°C  (high = +70.0°C)
Tctl:         +61.5°C

k10temp-pci-00cb
MB Temp:      +32.5°C  (high = +70.0°C)
Tctl:         +59.5°C

So - on one MSI board, 'Detection' works, but on mine, I had to manually enter it. Seems about right too - I did a quick encode using Handbrake (taking system load across 16 cores to about 36%) and the temp jumped within expectations - about 52 ish degrees.

Seems like this is working for me now. 

+1 to @mikeyosm - that nct7802 seemed to do the trick!

Cheers,

Xav.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, sjaak said:

i have put "it87" and i can read the speed of Fan1 (do have more fan inputs then it reads...)

Hmmmm, I just tried that - worked too. Same 'k10temp' entries in drop-down boxes. I then entered 'blah', and it worked - bug in Dynamix? Seems like an initial valid entry and it's happy...<shrug>

Xav.

3 hours ago, xavierda said:

Basically, I wanted to see these values in the status bar (Dynamix plugin) and the output didn't indicate which was the MB Temp and which was CPU Temp....read on...

Okay, this is strange - when I went to the settings page in Dynamix temp, clicking 'Detect' didn't do anything, and I couldn't select anything from the drop down boxes. After reading the above, I went back to that page, pasted in 'nct7802' and now I can select options! 

What was stranger is that initially it had the rather cryptic 'k10temp - tDie' as an option. After clicking save, it now shows 'k10temp - CPU Temp' and 'k10temp - MB Temp' respectively.

Running the 'sensors' command also shows something a bit more meaningful:

sensors
k10temp-pci-00c3
CPU Temp:     +34.5°C  (high = +70.0°C)
Tctl:         +61.5°C

k10temp-pci-00cb
MB Temp:      +32.5°C  (high = +70.0°C)
Tctl:         +59.5°C

So - on one MSI board, 'Detection' works, but on mine, I had to manually enter it. Seems about right too - I did a quick encode using Handbrake (taking system load across 16 cores to about 36%) and the temp jumped within expectations - about 52 ish degrees.

Seems like this is working for me now. 

+1 to @mikeyosm - that nct7802 seemed to do the trick!

Cheers,

Xav.

Are you sure those temps are accurate? As I said on my original post, running Prime95 in my VM to stress cores to 100% increases the cpu temp by 20 degrees up to 67 celcius. The temp never goes above that regardless of how much I stress all the 2950x cores.

21 hours ago, mikeyosm said:

Are you sure those temps are accurate? As I said on my original post, running Prime95 in my VM to stress cores to 100% increases the cpu temp by 20 degrees up to 67 celcius. The temp never goes above that regardless of how much I stress all the 2950x cores.

Seems about right to me? After the X264 encode using Handbrake, I then did a X265 encode against some 4K footage I had. The complete encode took about 10 minutes, and temps peaked about 72 - even though in the 'sensors' output, it says max of 70. I am not overclocking. I have a Fractal Design S36 cooler. First time using it; didn't change over the thermal paste...

Maybe the different chips for temp monitoring? I would have thought it would be consistent across MSI x399 boards though.

Xav.

1 hour ago, xavierda said:

Seems about right to me? After the X264 encode using Handbrake, I then did a X265 encode against some 4K footage I had. The complete encode took about 10 minutes, and temps peaked about 72 - even though in the 'sensors' output, it says max of 70. I am not overclocking. I have a Fractal Design S36 cooler. First time using it; didn't change over the thermal paste...

Maybe the different chips for temp monitoring? I would have thought it would be consistent across MSI x399 boards though.

Xav.

somethings strange and buggy with the dynamix system temp plugin for sure. I get a bunch of k10 and nct7802 in the list. If I select k10 tdie, click apply, the temp list is empty and I have to uninstall the plugin, remove sensors.conf