Help with setup.

TeCH-Guruz

Aight guys, so the situation is I'm new to unraid did run freenas for a while but was never really happy with it. My storage needs have grown and instead of upgrading my old hp gen8 microserver I decided to go ahead and throw something together since I found a great deal on a HP Omen X case.

So the spec that I am running are as follows :- 

CPU = Intel Pentium G4600

Motherboard = MSI Z270M Mortar

Ram = 32GB Samsung DDR4 2133MHz (plan on adding another 32GB when I find a cheap used deal)

M.2 = Samsung Evo 970 500GB (Being delivered later on today)

HDD = 1x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

3x 8TB HGST HE8 (Not here yet should be delivered early next week)

GPU = MSI RX550 4GB Aero itx OC (Not here yet should be delivered early next week) (Planning to do a little mining via VM with this)

PSU = Corsair RM450 

So far I haven't set anything up in unraid (although I have had it running in the past briefly on my HP gen8). I'm just looking for some advice on hard drive set up for now. I know I want to use the Samsung Evo for my VM's/Apps but should I also be using it as a cache drive? The plan is to set it up with the 4TB Ironwolf for now then add the 3x HGST's using one for parity. does that sound about right?

Any other advice on general setup would be much appreciated since I am pretty new to all of this. My main usage will be Plex, Transmission, Timecapsule, Couchpotato + Sickrage (if I can manage to get it all to play nice), + a couple of VM's one for mining and maybe a windows 10 VM. I would also like to run a wordpress site to any advice here would be helpful since I'm also new to the whole docker thing.

Cheers guys.

Archived