i3 8100 with ECC RAM ?

sadeq

I've migrated from ubuntu to unRAID a few days ago, and I've been reading about ECC memory importance.
so I've decided to get a C246 motherbaord with intel xeon 2176G because I wanted the IGPU for plex hardeware transcoding, but then I noticed that my cpu already supports ECC memory according to intel's website, and that's the same for the older i3s,
the question is, can I just buy ECC ram and expect it to work or do I need a special motherboard ?
my motherboard is asus z370F strix.
it's really a nice thing if it were true because you can have intel Quick Sync + ECC support on a cheap $130 processor.
Edit:
so I've contacted intel and that's a part of the conversation

support: The support for the ECC memory will depend on the manufacturer design  
support: We dont have control over that  
me: so I understand that it's possible to find a z370 motherboard with ECC support ?  
support: You will have to check that information with the manufacturer of the motherboard  
support: Correct

so what is left it to find a z370 motherboard with ECC support !
I'll post the model here if I find one

Edited by sadeq

I've never run an i3, but take a close look at the iGPU in your older i3, only the most recent versions support 4k and only the newest support 4k HDR I believe.  Just a warning, but otherwise if you don't need processing horsepower it doesn't seem like a bad idea at all.

The new Supermicro c246 board is very nice looking, I've a thread on it in the MB/CPU forum :).

I already own the cpu , and it's sufficient for my needs, I only run a VM or two at once, and thanks to the igpu, I can transcode even 10 HVEC 4k without a problem, so I think it's steal for the price considering it supports ECC too.
I've looked into that motherboard and an ASUS one too, but t hese motherboards and their supported processors are really hard to find.