Duplicate dockers?

So, I was wondering... Is there a way that I could easily just install a second copy of a docker that is already installed? I ask for a couple of reasons but mostly I want to set up a second Plex server on the same server and do some experimentation without completely ruining my primary Plex config if I happen to much something up. the option to install from the CA plugin is removed once you already have that docker installed. I know I will have to rename the docker and such and that's not a problem for me.

Thanks!

20 hours ago, cammelspit said:

the option to install from the CA plugin is removed once you already have that docker installed.

To create a duplicate from within CA, go to Installed Apps, edit the applicable app, change the name, ports, paths as required and Apply.  Basically the same thing you do from the Docker tab.

You can also within CA's settings change its operation so that already installed apps still appear on any list

Edited by Squid
  • Upvote 1
22 hours ago, DZMM said:

In the docker settings change the name e.g plex-2, the appdata path e.g. /mnt/user/appdata/plex-2 and ports or ip address

2 hours ago, Squid said:

To create a duplicate from within CA, go to Installed Apps, edit the applicable app, change the name, ports, paths as required and Apply.  Basically the same thing you do from the Docker tab.

You can also within CA's settings change its operation so that already installed apps still appear on any list

What you guys are saying is I can edit the name and such for the currently installed docker and then CA will allow me to add it again? Just a clarification.

The way to create a 2nd docker instance is to basically edit an existing installed instance, change the name, ports, etc and then apply.  Whether you do that via CA or via the Docker Tab, the net result is the same.

EDIT:  That doesn't work 

Edited by Squid
  • 8 months later...
On 10/8/2018 at 6:29 AM, Squid said:

On Apps, Installed Apps, click the icon that says "Reinstall Using Defaults", change the name etc.

OK this was fun to work out what had happened, this setting is now disabled by default as per changelog below.

Changelogs our saviour! :)

• Fixed: Under certain circumstances displays could get corrupted
  • Changed: "Reinstall Default" for docker apps optional (enable in settings)
  • Added: When swiping on mobile device to change page, scroll display
  • Changed: Remove "dimming" when spinner displays

I'm sure there was good reasoning behind the change, but it has made a less than intuitive process even more difficult.

Could we look at improving the process for creating a "duplicate" docker @Squid?

For those that stumble over the problem, this is how to re-enable the ability to create a duplicate docker container.

Setting to re-enable reinstall default can be found on the settings of the CA page, change Enable Reinstall Default: setting from No (default) to Yes

image.thumb.png.1ca47e589f1fe2545129b2dd3ad3902e.png

image.png.959362e067c7b7f878a287ae3bf260d4.png

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, tjb_altf4 said:

but it has made a less than intuitive process even more difficult.

Could we look at improving the process for creating a "duplicate" docker @Squid?

true, but it's never been a particularly intuitive process, and TBH, for what is basically an advanced procedure, I've hidden the icon to let you do it unless you enable it to make things less confusing for most people who do not need it.

• 6 months later...

Is the Enable Reinstall option still there? I'm on unRAID 6.5.3 and Community Apps 2019.12.31a and although I've got Enable Reinstall Default set to Yes, I don't seem to have any reinstall icon on Apps, Installed Apps. I've disabled and re-enabled and don't seem to see any difference in the icons for the Installed Apps.

[Edit]

Ah, sorry. I see now that I have to click on the app's icon. A new window appears for that app and there's a reinstall icon in the window.

Edited by sonofdbn
Found how to do it
1 hour ago, sonofdbn said:

Is the Enable Reinstall option still there? I'm on unRAID 6.5.3 and Community Apps 2019.12.31a and although I've got Enable Reinstall Default set to Yes, I don't seem to have any reinstall icon on Apps, Installed Apps. I've disabled and re-enabled and don't seem to see any difference in the icons for the Installed Apps.

[Edit]

Ah, sorry. I see now that I have to click on the app's icon. A new window appears for that app and there's a reinstall icon in the window.

Bug

• 9 months later...

So I did this by just going to the docker page using an existing template as a base then changing the name of the docker, the port used, and the appdata folder but when the containers update and both containers are running the update doesn't work and fails on one of them. If I shut down one of the duplicate containers and hit update manually then the update correctly applies. Any ideas of what I should have done or should do differently to setup duplicate dockers and have updates work correctly?

• 2 months later...