Is Xeon Silver 4108 capable of 10 bit hevc transcoding? H.265

Currently, I am using the hardware on my signature. The Xeon E3-1225 v6 gets up to 100% on occasion. Seeing that I may have an opportunity to replace motherboard and processor right now, I'd like to ask whether it's possible to transcode 10-bit H.265 4K on the Silver 4108. It doesn't have gpu, unlike my old processor. The most will be probably 2 streams of 4k 10-bit h.265 content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To upgrade is not really for transcoding. The 4 core 4 threads is somewhat limiting. Currently, am transcoding fine. But since there's and opportunity to replace the board and processor, would like to know if Xeon silver 4108 can transcode without brining the processor to its knees

@jang430 you dont need new hardware

you cpu has Intel® HD Graphics P630 https://ark.intel.com/products/97476/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1225-v6-8M-Cache-3-30-GHz-

it support 10-bit H.265 4K

https://www.intel.ru/content/www/ru/ru/architecture-and-technology/hd-graphics/hd-graphics-performance-guide.html

u need just to set-up unraid and plex/emby to use it

Xeon silver 4108 is ~30% faster and have no iGpu. 

Did u set up iGpu transcoding or you dont use  HD Graphics P630 at all?

Edited by vanes

@whipdancer, youay have a point :-)@vanes, yes, my existing processor is working fine. Am using the I gpu to my advantage in transcoding using emby. My proc and motherboard leaves something more to be desired though :-) I have limited upgrade options to nvme drives due to 1 x16 used for gpu passthrough, a x4 used for hba controller and only a x4 left for nvme.

Seeing the new X11SPM-TF, it has 2 x16 and a x8, and can support 12 satas, and an m.2 slot, dual 10 GBe, supports scalable, which leaves room for unlimited upgrade for now, gets me all excited with this board :-)

Or I can stay single nvme, and just replace a more powerful processor for now, since E3-1225 v6 indeed seems less powerful than I initially anticipated. Seems like E3-1245 v6 is more suitable to me.