Video card pass-thru

Ok, so I setup a new video card, an NVidia GT 710 (pci-e 1x) for video pass-thru on a Windows 10 VM, and I set it up as my 2nd video card and VNC as my primary (so I could install the drivers) but as soon as I remove the VNC and make the GT 710 my primary video card I get blank screen.  Is this a known issue and should I leave the VNC and set it as my secondary display and use it that way until this gets resolved?

Not good.  After I enabled VNC again it is saying it detected problems and that it didn't start (which is the same message I got after I disabled VNC the first time.)  About to delete the VM and recreate it.  If I can't get a successful reboot with video (by assigning primary display to GT 710) then I will have to ditch the GT 710 and look for another PCIe x1 card, but I believe the GT 710 is the fastest/best PCIe x1 video card on the market, if im not mistaken.

EDIT:

WAIT!   NO!   GT 730 is the fastest, and the one I searched for on Amazon, but somehow I ordered the GT 710, but now I know why, there was none available at Amazon!   So yeah, I ended up with a GT 710 instead of the intended GT 730 and it doesn't even work.  I guess I will start a return on Amazon and getting the GT 730 elsewhere.

Found it here:

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4AW3V00605

Edited by m4f1050
  • 3 weeks later...

Most likely it's not a problem with the card; it's possible though, but most likely not.

This is typical behavior when using VNC with GPU pass through at the same time. I've been running around in circles trying to resolve the same issue.

Despite @SpaceInvaderOne videos on Single GPU pass through, it appears that greater success can be had by using two GPU's. One for the host (Unraid). One for the client (Virtual Machine). If you have an integrated GPU use that for the host (Unraid) and the Nvidia yoi have for the client (VM).

There are a couple more solutions I need to try in order to get single GPU pass to work for me.

Here's a link wherein the information and the process on how pass through works in virtualization is still relevant.

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/VM_Management#Assigning_Graphics_Devices_to_Virtual_Machines_.28GPU_Pass_Through.29

Here is a thread I am active in with a lot of feedback. There many like it. That's the downside to forums — you have to pick your way through the noise.

Search for SpaceInvaderOne's channel on YouTube. He has some good guides. And support him in any way, shape, or form that you can.

Edited by Zer0Nin3r