Scheduled Flash Backups By Default

Hello,

Can I please submit the following feature request ...

Flash Backup scheduled BY DEFAULT/out-of-the-box.  By that I mean the Flash drive is automatically set to backup at an appropriate interval, perhaps to the built-in/default "system" share.  If not that share, one of the disk shares.

From a UX perspective, a banner could be shown at the top of the unRAID UI that says something like:

"Flash backups have been automatically enabled.  Backups will run every 48 hours and be stored on <location>.  Automatic Flash backups can be disabled by going to the Scheduler settings page."

I know unRAID has an option to backup the Flash drive already but it is 100% manual.  I would like to see this critical location backed up automatically.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Don't you create a catch 22 situation?

Storing the backup locally on the server may make it unavailable when a flash drive dies and the server isn't working any longer as expected.

No, I don't think so.  If your data disks die, yes, it's a useless location.  In that situation, though, I'd care a lot more about the actual data than a config backup.

That said, I think having an automatic backup of everything, including plugins (etc), even if it is local, is better than nothing.

In a perfect world I'd like to see the rClone plugin be installed by default and prompt for a cloud service location for the backup.  Not everyone has a cloud service account, though.  That being the case, the backup kinda has to be local.

I was initially going to propose sending the backup via email until I realised it's huuuuuuge.

25 minutes ago, remotevisitor said:

Maybe a scheduled check if changes have been made to the flash which sends a notification to backup the flash to an external location if it detects any changes might be an alternative.

I guees it depends on whether such a check is practical or not.

Or even a banner prompt every time a change is made that simply alerts the user a backup should be taken.  Plugin installed?  Prompt.  Do something else?  Prompt.  A banner would be the perfect place for it, too - it's visible but the system can be used without officially acknowledging it.

My main reason for this feature request is that unless the user watches a ton of videos and reads all the docs (which most don't), they won't even realise how important the flash drive actually is.